new member of family (EBT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
findlay,ohio
just got a baby eastern box turtle today :D no worries pics will come soon. thinking its a boy with the orange colors orange eyes and what seems to be a pretty long tale , although this is my first box turtle so time will tell. he is very active eats like a champ so far .

first pic of new little guy

Attachments

• nugget.jpg
    nugget.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 58

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
thank you . he hit the ground running checking out his enclosure eating worms a little fruit even the fish bone for some calcium. he is fearless

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I don't know if its the phone picture , but it looks more like a 3 toed box turtle in my opinion .

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
surie_the_tortoise said:
thank you . he hit the ground running checking out his enclosure eating worms a little fruit even the fish bone for some calcium. he is fearless

That is great!! He must be a healthy guy then!
You are so lucky he isn't shy and afraid!!
Enjoy him :)

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
pryncesssc said:
I don't know if its the phone picture , but it looks more like a 3 toed box turtle in my opinion .

im by no means an expert so please correct me if im wrong . doesnt the eastern box turtles have 4 back toes and the 3 toed have 3 ?

luvpetz27 said:
surie_the_tortoise said:

That is great!! He must be a healthy guy then!
You are so lucky he isn't shy and afraid!!
Enjoy him :)

even let me pet his head till he moved as if to say ok thats enough. didnt pull his head in just moved . awesome little guy couldnt be happier with how he is doing

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very cute little one there. Glad he is eating and active. Sounds like he doesn't need any settling in time, that's good.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
pryncesssc said:

I don't know if it's an eastern or three toed as the pic is a little blurry. But seeing as how she lives in Ohio, a three toed would be better anyway....

He/she is very cute though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
pryncesssc said:

Some easterns don't develop the pattern on their carapace until they're a bit older. I have several eastern babies that look like three-toe.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yvonne is right. I've had many Easterns that looked like Three Toed's as hatchlings. I've also seen Three Toed's with 4 toes. As for sex you won't be able to tell that for a few years also. Whatever he/she is, it's beautiful as all baby Box Turtles are. Good luck with that cutie.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
terryo said:
Yvonne is right. I've had many Easterns that looked like Three Toed's as hatchlings. I've also seen Three Toed's with 4 toes. As for sex you won't be able to tell that for a few years also. Whatever he/she is, it's beautiful as all baby Box Turtles are. Good luck with that cutie.

I had no idea about some three toed with four toes!
I learn something new on here everyday! :) :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My three toed has four toes.

Both of his parents had 3 toes. They both came from an area that overlaps with gulf coast box turtles as well. So it's possible somewhere back in the line gulf coast got mixed in. But yep, parents both have 3 toes and my baby has 4.

I'd also like to know how people in all these states where the eastern naturally occurs have them as pets. I'd love to be able to have an eastern as well but I've stuck to three toeds and gulf coasts since I live in Ohio.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
lisa127 said:

Both of his parents had 3 toes. They both came from an area that overlaps with gulf coast box turtles as well. So it's possible somewhere back in the line gulf coast got mixed in. But yep, parents both have 3 toes and my baby has 4.

I'd also like to know how people in all these states where the eastern naturally occurs have them as pets. I'd love to be able to have an eastern as well but I've stuck to three toeds and gulf coasts since I live in Ohio.

I live in NY and have successfully raised three toed's. I also have a Gulf Coast. Eastern's, Three Toed's and my GC, all live together outside and hibernate in the Winter. I'm not worried about hatchlings, as I never took in any eggs, and don't plan to sell any hatchlings if I find any. I think they all require the same care, and seem to eat the same foods. I notice the Three Toed will sit in the pond more than the Eastern's. The GC seems to enjoy more live foods, but will eat anything I give her.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
lisa127 said:

Hey Lisa! I live and Ohio ans have 2 easterns. They were dropped off in a brown cardboard box in front of a privately owned reptile store I go to. The owner gave them to me and they are just a joy to have! They have def been with people because they are fearless and eat out of my hand! :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
terryo said:
lisa127 said:

I live in NY and have successfully raised three toed's. I also have a Gulf Coast. Eastern's, Three Toed's and my GC, all live together outside and hibernate in the Winter. I'm not worried about hatchlings, as I never took in any eggs, and don't plan to sell any hatchlings if I find any. I think they all require the same care, and seem to eat the same foods. I notice the Three Toed will sit in the pond more than the Eastern's. The GC seems to enjoy more live foods, but will eat anything I give her.

No, I don't mean that. What I'm saying is that I'm not allowed to keep easterns because I live in Ohio. Unless I have a permit, have them tagged, and I believe I would have to be inspected regularly as well. I'm referring to the laws.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Oh..I'm sorry I didn't understand you. Yes, I know, I have to have a permit here too for Box Turtles. I renew it every Oct. It's not hard to get, and it only cost $10.

surie_the_tortoise

5 Year Member
findlay,ohio
isnt redish orange also a sign of being an eastern? 3 toed more of a brown or yellow ? sorry for the blurry first pic didnt get the camera dug out last night so just used my phone.

surie_the_tortoise said:
just got a baby eastern box turtle today :D no worries pics will come soon. thinking its a boy with the orange colors orange eyes and what seems to be a pretty long tale , although this is my first box turtle so time will tell. he is very active eats like a champ so far .

surie_the_tortoise said:
isnt redish orange also a sign of being an eastern? 3 toed more of a brown or yellow ? sorry for the blurry first pic didnt get the camera dug out last night so just used my phone.

surie_the_tortoise said:

surie_the_tortoise said:

surie_the_tortoise said:

surie_the_tortoise said:

surie_the_tortoise said:

hope the new pics above help

Attachments

• DSCN1040.JPG
    DSCN1040.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN1038.JPG
    DSCN1038.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN1041.JPG
    DSCN1041.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 10