New member to this forum, my name is Danny and my sulcata hatchling is named Tortellini

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thank you Tom. I have stopped feeding those purchased plants but will maintain them to feed next year or so. I have started to grow and purchase my seeds for both grass, weeds, and flowers, and I am now starting to plant so I hope the planting goes well and I can await those plants for feeding. Also, thanks for pointing out that the substrate needs to be dampened with much more water than just misting. This information is new to me and going to be life changing to be able to rely on the humidity levels. Thank you so much for your feedback, all other feedback is welcome for my tortellini. I am currently putting together the new habitat and once that is set up I can share a foto and welcome more tips for my enclosure.
That all sounds great! Let us know how we can help. All questions are welcome. :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you Tom. I have stopped feeding those purchased plants but will maintain them to feed next year or so. I have started to grow and purchase my seeds for both grass, weeds, and flowers, and I am now starting to plant so I hope the planting goes well and I can await those plants for feeding. Also, thanks for pointing out that the substrate needs to be dampened with much more water than just misting. This information is new to me and going to be life changing to be able to rely on the humidity levels. Thank you so much for your feedback, all other feedback is welcome for my tortellini. I am currently putting together the new habitat and once that is set up I can share a foto and welcome more tips for my enclosure.
You can buy packs of seeds to grow plants specifically for tort food. You'll find them online if you do a search.
Also a good tip I was given is that
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort

so keep an eye on those temps.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Have you thought about hydroponics? When the weather cools down here in Florida. I am going to try it. It's just too hot for me to be outside right now.

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
You can buy packs of seeds to grow plants specifically for tort food. You'll find them online if you do a search.
Also a good tip I was given is that
correct temps + humidity = healthy tort
too cold + humidity = sick tort

so keep an eye on those temps.
Thank you I struggled to get the temps up at night but I finally got it to stay at 80-85 F last night. Humidity has fluctuated even with my added use of orchid moss, but has primarily been higher side rather than lower. And keeping the entire enclosure in the right temps and humidity is also a work in progress but It has gotten better as I have slowly made changes and adjusted to what is needed. I have a baby cam for torti so I can monitor the levels in certain areas, please see and I am open to suggestions. He is taking a nap right now.

Attachments

• 3A600D62-25B5-4987-ADE6-E6EB1F15B9D5.png
    3A600D62-25B5-4987-ADE6-E6EB1F15B9D5.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 10

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
That all sounds great! Let us know how we can help. All questions are welcome. :)
Please see photo taken from the baby cam I got in his enclosure, this is the view for 2/3 of it, the hide area is not visible since I need to adjust the cam to get a 100percent view. He has 3 plates of water. One with food. Basking rock, humid hide. The substrate is coco coir and cypress mulch and 4 areas with a small amount of orchid moss. 2 fake trees. His tortoise calcium bone is in the enclosure, yet he has not really tried to have much of it at this point. Feedings are primarily grass (about a handful bunch), few plant herb leafs (oregano, thyme, basil, cilantro) few small pieces of lettuce mixes (red leaf, bok Choi, collards, romaine, dandelion, kale, butter lettuce, etc) few other sparingly fed goods like okra, carrot tops, raddish tops [i alternate on the mixes so I only feed about 2 or 3 lettuces and only 2 herbs]. Flowers are paused until I have grown my own organic seeds ( I only feed a Boston plant I have every once I a while). Also do Mazuri 2 or3x per week as directed. Calcium goes into the food almost every day and multivitamin maybe 1ce a month or 2x a month. I just got the heat radiator which has helped maintain night temps at 80degrees F, the UVB was initially set up but since I take Tortellini out at least 2x per week I have taken off the UVB as I have read in other posts should be ok to do. Soaking torti almost every day with warm water. I think that’s my set up and rooting with Torti, please feel free to comment and add suggestions on anything I may be missing. Oh I also got him one of those wood curved bridge from pet store but I did see him take a bite out of it and removed it right away, does anyone know if that is harmful or if eaten will he be able to digest that wood (doesn’t say what wood it is made of). Thank you in advance for all the tips and recommendations.

Attachments

• E068AB54-1B14-4DA1-8675-B125A4A0EF29.png
    E068AB54-1B14-4DA1-8675-B125A4A0EF29.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 12

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Looks great,I would get rid of the moss. They have a tendency to eat it and it can cause impactions. The coco coir should be wet enough so when you squeeze a handful. It stays clumped together but no water drips out. Have the core about 3"deep. When it dries out just pour water directly in. Dont just mist.

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
Looks great,I would get rid of the moss. They have a tendency to eat it and it can cause impactions. The coco coir should be wet enough so when you squeeze a handful. It stays clumped together but no water drips out. Have the core about 3"deep. When it dries out just pour water directly in. Dont just mist.

nicoleann2214

NY
Please see photo taken from the baby cam I got in his enclosure, this is the view for 2/3 of it, the hide area is not visible since I need to adjust the cam to get a 100percent view. He has 3 plates of water. One with food. Basking rock, humid hide. The substrate is coco coir and cypress mulch and 4 areas with a small amount of orchid moss. 2 fake trees. His tortoise calcium bone is in the enclosure, yet he has not really tried to have much of it at this point. Feedings are primarily grass (about a handful bunch), few plant herb leafs (oregano, thyme, basil, cilantro) few small pieces of lettuce mixes (red leaf, bok Choi, collards, romaine, dandelion, kale, butter lettuce, etc) few other sparingly fed goods like okra, carrot tops, raddish tops [i alternate on the mixes so I only feed about 2 or 3 lettuces and only 2 herbs]. Flowers are paused until I have grown my own organic seeds ( I only feed a Boston plant I have every once I a while). Also do Mazuri 2 or3x per week as directed. Calcium goes into the food almost every day and multivitamin maybe 1ce a month or 2x a month. I just got the heat radiator which has helped maintain night temps at 80degrees F, the UVB was initially set up but since I take Tortellini out at least 2x per week I have taken off the UVB as I have read in other posts should be ok to do. Soaking torti almost every day with warm water. I think that’s my set up and rooting with Torti, please feel free to comment and add suggestions on anything I may be missing. Oh I also got him one of those wood curved bridge from pet store but I did see him take a bite out of it and removed it right away, does anyone know if that is harmful or if eaten will he be able to digest that wood (doesn’t say what wood it is made of). Thank you in advance for all the tips and recommendations.
Hi! Do you have a hide for him? I miss when my guy was that small :(

Edit; I didn’t read your whole post, I’d love to see the rest of the enclosure!:)

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
Thank you, I hid the moss to the bottom as much as I could to cover it. There is a hide, here is the update as of today.
Hi! Do you have a hide for him? I miss when my guy was that small :(

Edit; I didn’t read your whole post, I’d love to see the rest of the enclosure!:)

Attachments

• 30D2760F-A778-490A-AC79-DCED9A7C1E41.jpeg
    30D2760F-A778-490A-AC79-DCED9A7C1E41.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you I struggled to get the temps up at night but I finally got it to stay at 80-85 F last night. Humidity has fluctuated even with my added use of orchid moss, but has primarily been higher side rather than lower. And keeping the entire enclosure in the right temps and humidity is also a work in progress but It has gotten better as I have slowly made changes and adjusted to what is needed. I have a baby cam for torti so I can monitor the levels in certain areas, please see and I am open to suggestions. He is taking a nap right now.
I use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) run through a thermostat for night heat and extra heat when needed. It just gives off heat so that the tort has the darkness it needs to sleep and the thermostat is important because it makes sure the temps are maintained at the set level and doesn't get too hot or cold.

nicoleann2214

NY
Hahaha good point! I will look for another one.
I just use a plastic wash tub from Walmart it does the job. Your lil guy is small so you could buy something smaller I bet it would work just fine :) or even just put a bunch of plants around the one you have for some cover.

Attachments

• CBA9DDA8-591B-4220-A850-0BEEC5EB5AA6.jpeg
    CBA9DDA8-591B-4220-A850-0BEEC5EB5AA6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10