New member with 2 CDTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Cool....yeah have the kiddos really muck the sand down in so it is not the surface cover between the tortoise and the earth....it can really be nasty....sand settles in the gut and weighs down differently than soil, then when additional sand particles are ingested they build on one another....if a tortoise then becomes slightly dehydrated that is when you can have all hell break loose and impaction begin...I had to help my old man Humphry through sand impaction, when the prior host had him he had ingested so much sand that he was crapping out perfect round sand balls for over a month...and that was not even happening until about 2 weeks of soaking 2 times per day and hand feeding him bite for bite of the month he was crapping out the sand balls...I was lucky with him that he moved it out and through and not needing to be opened up and surgery...impaction can truly be terrible...Humphry is now my best soaker and eater....:p

Sounds like you have all figured out in a practical manner, which is perfect start....just remember that when it rains water does weird and unexpected movement...so I would just suggest keeping an eye on him and be prepared to move the bigger one indoors also if should be necessary...also would suggest to account for any wiring/cords being exposed to water and make sure that the wires can not become a strangle hazard...as tortoise turn and muck and move about alot in their hides/burrows so I would also keep that in mind--- for a smaller type tortoise they are extremely strong :D:D

I would keep the smaller one indoors unless the temps are 65-70+ where you are and the sun out....(this is my opinion and what I follow...others have their own way as well) and keep him lite up and warm and in a substrate in which he can practice his burrowing skills as one day his evolutionary call to perform his skill of brumation will likely come to light, you know?

But I believe he is too young right now to easily brumate, yes it can be done but not as readily as a tortoise a couple years older...Plus, just as Yvonne offered, you really need at least a year to get use to your tortoises behavior and form a working relationship (so to speak) with them in order for you to quickly spot if something for your tortoises need to be addressed....so brumation should not be allowed the first year you begin caring for them, IMHO. Also it would benefit your piece of mind to study and get as familiar with brumation as you can as this species is one you will have to make decisions on from year to year.... and being as educated in the subject as possible is a benefit to you and your tortoise...

I suggested the 50 gallon tub in the event you did not already have a tortoise table set up for the smaller one....You do not want the smaller one getting wet and cold =bad combination...so you will need to judge your immediate environment for your actions, you know? Since you are there and in the moment :D

How was the larger one cared for during the winter where he is coming from? Was he forced to remain awake all winter or was he allowed to brumate? :D

One last word :D Please make sure that you have the proper permits for the larger one, the smaller one will not require permits until around 2 years old....if you find that you need to acquire permits you can do that through your local CTTC group.....

Have LOADS of fun with them, they are absolutely awesome tortoise....just love em...they are very close to my heart (as well as to others here on the forum as you will and have seen:D)

Oh yeahhhh, had I mentioned, WE LOVE PICS :p

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
since i know you all love pictures ;)

here is a progress shot of the pen and a very basic 'start' of the new hide box--which will be insulated water/weather and raccoon proof when i get done with it. in the mean time my boy will sleep inside a large tote in my kitchen.

Attachments

• 2011-11-26_17-37-08_283.jpg
    2011-11-26_17-37-08_283.jpg
    754.4 KB · Views: 15
M

Maggie Cummings

Nobody here will flame you but me...FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS???!!! OMG! What the heck did you spend five hundred dollars on? OK. I'm all done flaming! Just teasing you. I have no clue what carpentry stuff costs. But watch out for the sand, as pretty as it is, it causes impaction in their intestines and colon. Your habitat looks really pretty but the sand really worries me. You'll need to not feed them on the sand and watch out for their food getting sand all over it. CDT are my favorite species, but I live in Oregon so I can't have any. However, I did live in Calif so I have had them and know quite a bit about them if you should need help with them in the future...welcome. BTW, I would separate them as the size difference sounds slightly big. And I'd be for brining the smaller one inside at night. Watch out for bullying.

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
thanks Maggie! I just posted a new photo above, I made quite a few changes, so let me know what you think now! ;-)
I just made a tortoise table for my baby...no pics yet.
ETA: the expense was in all the hardware(I wanted to use nuts/bolts since i cant possible screw straight, no pun.) and the L brackets, materials to make the cover(that did not work how i hoped and isnt going to work at all) then theres all the soil/sand/moss...the water pan, plants..and tools because i have had a gardener for years and didnt own a shovel :p

Status
Not open for further replies.