cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
New member to this great site. Owner of a new baby Sulcata named Abrams like the tank. I have 7-3 toed and 3- ornates and 2-RES. I'm trying to figured out everything I need to give Abrams a great and healthy life. Here are a few details to my enclosure and I take any advice as it seems a little tougher with this Tort than my others. I have Abrams in a zoo med tortoise house with all the amenities that he could possibly need (Plants, substrate, water food, hides, UVB bulb) . I think the only real question I have is what's the best heat light for him? I have all the gauges for temps and humidity as well. I take him/her out everyday after work and him/her gets really active during and for a few hours after, Then sleeps a lot, my guess is the temps aren't just right yet, I'm just using a 65 watt bulb now and its getting in the 80's. So my question is, what is the best light for heat and what is the best temp for the basking area? I would like to see a few pics of others enclosures to see how they have the lighting and heating set ups also.

TIMG_0106.JPG hanks,

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi! Baby Sulcatas need very high humidity & to help you get that I would recommend using Coco coir substrate & ditch the mulch.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010OSIHW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
For heat - mid high 80's is good. You do not want any lower than 80 in a humid environment. Basking spot should be in the 90-95 range. You can get that by using a good mvb light such as:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
these produce a good amount of Uv rays and also put out good heat. Put a flat rock under it to retain the heat & presto! You have a good baking area :)

Here is an excellent care sheet, written by a very knowledgeable member:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Thanks for the reply, That mulch was just in the outdoor that I take him/her outside in. Inside I have the Coco fiber

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute

Dyewalker

Charlotte
Hello ?? I’m also a new member hello anyone reading this! I’m a new RF tortoise mommy and I’ve had a pretty good go of it so far. Getting his humidity to stay where it needs was a task but Frankie is finally comfy and settling in I think anyways. He is a 2 month old and I believe he is thriving any random advice or facts abt other RFs would be great if anyone has any.