Tortoise Guy

Hello everyone!

I have been looking at this forum before I had an account and had found that it had been very helpful when I was doing my research on Russians. Now, at the moment I do not own any tortoises, but I still plan to. A few questions regarding the manner: First off is lighting. I have read that Russians require UVA/UVB for lighting everywhere, so I am assuming this is very true. Also, I have heard that they prefer a basking area anywhere between 90 and 90 degrees (Fahrenheit) with a temperature of otherwise 70*F. Is this correct? Also, if so, would this work as an all-in-n-one bulb as not to require two bulbs and domes, etc;
http://tinyurl.com/pbkuz95
Next, I want to talk about housing. I plan to build a Tortoise Table, but I am not sure whether or not it is OK to keep multiple Russians together. Here's the thing: I don't want two females as I know females grow significantly bigger than males, and I do not want a male and female to avoid breeding, as I would not be ready for that yet, so that leaves me with only one option: two males. Will keeping two males in the same habitat cause fighting, even if there is no female present, or should they be safe for the most part? One final question. What is the best place to buy captive bred Russians? I am aware that I should avoid the pet store, but here is the situation. If I order online, I never know what I am going to get (not even talking about health). I feel seeing a Russian before buying is important, so how can I do this whhole still avoiding the pet store, as tortoises from the pet store very often are WC and not CB. I have heard of some websites that claim to sell and ship CB tortoises, but I am not 100% sure if they are reliable. One website I was considering ordering from was backwaterreptiles.com. Has anyone had any experience with this website. Any suggestions? Sorry for all the questions and long post, just want to be fully prepared to get from the best and really care for a tortoise.

Thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
The mercury vapor bulbs are a great all in one. you should habe three temp ranges: basking-95-100, warm side in the 80's and cool in the 70's. Temps at night in the 70's are fine. You do not want them in pairs, at all, especially two males. Russians are very aggressive. We have some really good sellers here that are active members, take a look at the for sale section. Here is a good care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Tortoise Guy

The mercury vapor bulbs are a great all in one. you should habe three temp ranges: basking-95-100, warm side in the 80's and cool in the 70's. Temps at night in the 70's are fine. You do not want them in pairs, at all, especially two males. Russians are very aggressive. We have some really good sellers here that are active members, take a look at the for sale section. Here is a good care sheet:
Thanks for the help. Would you recommend I either build a completely different enclosure if I want two or just keep one? Also, I am assuming you own a Russian (sorry if I am wrong). Where did you get him/her from and is he/she doing fine?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Russians would do okay in a small herd like 1 make and 3 females but as a beginner I would suggest you stick to one tort for now. If you want 1 then make 2 separate enclosures. You will find through your readings here that the minimum enclosure space for an indoor set up is 4' x 8' (for one tort). Russians are small but they are roamers and need space. They also require a deep substraight so they can dig and tall walls so they can't escape. Russians are fantastic escape artists are are considered the magicians of the tort world.

Tortoise Guy

Than
Russians would do okay in a small herd like 1 make and 3 females but as a beginner I would suggest you stick to one tort for now. If you want 1 then make 2 separate enclosures. You will find through your readings here that the minimum enclosure space for an indoor set up is 4' x 8' (for one tort). Russians are small but they are roamers and need space. They also require a deep substraight so they can dig and tall walls so they can't escape. Russians are fantastic escape artists are are considered the magicians of the tort world.
Thanks for all the help! I think I'll stick to one tort for now and maybe in the future, I will set up another enclosure and get another tort!

Tortoise Guy

One more question, though. Where is the best place to buy a tort? I have heard that I should not by a tort from a pet store because they are wild caught (WC). Instead, I should buy a CB tort. Is the best way to do this from an online source? If so, which one?
Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!

I have been looking at this forum before I had an account and had found that it had been very helpful when I was doing my research on Russians. Now, at the moment I do not own any tortoises, but I still plan to. A few questions regarding the manner: First off is lighting. I have read that Russians require UVA/UVB for lighting everywhere, so I am assuming this is very true. Also, I have heard that they prefer a basking area anywhere between 90 and 90 degrees (Fahrenheit) with a temperature of otherwise 70*F. Is this correct? Also, if so, would this work as an all-in-n-one bulb as not to require two bulbs and domes, etc;
http://tinyurl.com/pbkuz95
Next, I want to talk about housing. I plan to build a Tortoise Table, but I am not sure whether or not it is OK to keep multiple Russians together. Here's the thing: I don't want two females as I know females grow significantly bigger than males, and I do not want a male and female to avoid breeding, as I would not be ready for that yet, so that leaves me with only one option: two males. Will keeping two males in the same habitat cause fighting, even if there is no female present, or should they be safe for the most part? One final question. What is the best place to buy captive bred Russians? I am aware that I should avoid the pet store, but here is the situation. If I order online, I never know what I am going to get (not even talking about health). I feel seeing a Russian before buying is important, so how can I do this whhole still avoiding the pet store, as tortoises from the pet store very often are WC and not CB. I have heard of some websites that claim to sell and ship CB tortoises, but I am not 100% sure if they are reliable. One website I was considering ordering from was backwaterreptiles.com. Has anyone had any experience with this website. Any suggestions? Sorry for all the questions and long post, just want to be fully prepared to get from the best and really care for a tortoise.

Thanks!
Hello and welcome. These are great questions! Glad you decided to join.

On to your questions:
1. No, it is not true that russians, or any other species need UV lighting everywhere. All tortoises need enough UV to make D3 in their skin, but the best source is the sun. An hour in a large outdoor enclosure a couple of time a week is enough to satisfy their UV needs. More time is better, but that is all they need. Indoor UV won't hurt anything, but it won't be needed if you can get real sun for most of the year. So where are you?
2. The temperature doesn't have to be so rigid. One of the beautiful things about russians is their adaptability. They can thrive in a wide range of temperatures and conditions. They do well in Washington State, the UK, Phoenix AZ, South Florida and here in Southern CA. I prefer to keep mine with around a 100 degree basking site and the rest of the enclosure around 70-80 degrees during the day and dropping to the mid 60's or low 70s at night. In summer, their over all temps are much warmer than this. In winter before and after hibernation, cooler. Of course these are indoor temps and I put mine outside whenever weather permits.
3. Yes, a mercury vapor bulb will serve you fine for this purpose, as long as your house is not getting too cold at night.
4. It is NOT ok to keep a pair of male russians together. This will almost always end in disaster. Most tortoise species are solitary and prefer to be alone. Also most of the time, pairs of any sex for any species do not work out. Two female russians would likely fight too. Russians can in some cases be kept in groups, but almost never in pairs. Get a group of 3 or more, or just house them all individually. Even if you get a group and they get a long for a while, the day may come when they all have to be separated. Part of owning more than one tortoise is the responsibility to be ready to make new enclosures and house them individually if the need arises. Ask me how many enclosures I am now maintaining for my SA leopard tortoise males...
5. Where to get your tortoises? This is one of the most beautiful things about this forum. We are a community of actual tortoise keepers and breeders. We "know" each other, talk about techniques, see each others successes and failures, and sometime we even get to meet in person. There are several russian breeders right here on our forum that have a 100% successful track record and will be highly recommended to you. I have personal experience with @Carol S , @kanalomele and @biochemnerd808 . All start and raise their babies in a manner that can only be described as excellent!

Here are some care sheets and threads to help you out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Not all herds work. You need a lot of space and some luck. Females can bully each other within the herd.

I recommend that you start with one and take your time before thinking about getting another. Set up a good outdoor habitat as well as an indoor one, with as much space as you can. RTs like to cover a lot of ground.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Tortoises are territorial, and they chase other tortoises out of their territory. You don't need two for them to be content. They are more than content being the king of their territory.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You are asking good questions and getting good advice.
Tortoises don't have friends.They're better off alone.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I think your questions have been answered, so I just wanted to say welcome. There are a lot of Russians on craigslist regularly, and places like that. If you don't want to deal with the delicate baby stage an adult would be an option. You can't tell if a baby is male or female, so this would be the only way to get a specific sex.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Looks like you are getting lots good advise here. Welcome! ! !

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Thanks to @Tom for the flattering mention. I have a relatively large number of Russians myself and always recommend keeping a single tort if you can possibly restrain yourself. Torts can be addictive! But in truth they neither want or need company other than their human slaves. Russians in particular are a feisty, scrappy species that fight often. Males with males and when they aggressively attempt mating with females. Females will also fight and bully other females and even males. Keeping multiples is a delicate balance that requires alot of space. These are the athletes with ADD of the tortoise world. Also..Welcome to the group!