AnnA125

We have a red foot tortoise that we inherited from our grand daughter. There were originally two of them but one escaped from their yard so the remaining one came to our garden because we had a good place to enclose an area for him. His name is Lola. Charlie is the one that escaped but Lola is actually a male but the name stuck. He has stayed with us. We live in the mid west and he needed to be kept inside for the winter. He had outgrown the 40 gallon aquarium he had been in before in winter and there was nowhere else for him to go, so my husband made a bigger winter home for him. When they were originally bought they were quite small and were bought by the grandfather on the other side of the family in Texas for his (and our) grand daughter. I don’t believe they were given any humidity so their shells became pyramided. Lola has just about outgrown his present winter quarters but I don’t think he will grow much more. We figure he is probably about 15 years old now so can anyone tell me if they think he will grow anymore. His shell didn’t pyramid anymore. I expect one day our grand daughter will have to take him back, or find a new home because he will outlive us. We are in our mid seventies. I wish people would not buy creatures for children. They have no idea how much work and effort goes into giving them a decent life.
We would love for someone that already has red foots in a warmer state to adopt him so he could stay outside year round instead of being cooped up in the house for 5 months or more of the year, but I expect there are many out there in his situation. I have tried to upload a picture but don’t think it worked.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! I feel your pain!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome. Thanks for giving Lola a place to live.

TortoiseRacket

New York
We have a red foot tortoise that we inherited from our grand daughter. There were originally two of them but one escaped from their yard so the remaining one came to our garden because we had a good place to enclose an area for him. His name is Lola. Charlie is the one that escaped but Lola is actually a male but the name stuck. He has stayed with us. We live in the mid west and he needed to be kept inside for the winter. He had outgrown the 40 gallon aquarium he had been in before in winter and there was nowhere else for him to go, so my husband made a bigger winter home for him. When they were originally bought they were quite small and were bought by the grandfather on the other side of the family in Texas for his (and our) grand daughter. I don’t believe they were given any humidity so their shells became pyramided. Lola has just about outgrown his present winter quarters but I don’t think he will grow much more. We figure he is probably about 15 years old now so can anyone tell me if they think he will grow anymore. His shell didn’t pyramid anymore. I expect one day our grand daughter will have to take him back, or find a new home because he will outlive us. We are in our mid seventies. I wish people would not buy creatures for children. They have no idea how much work and effort goes into giving them a decent life.
We would love for someone that already has red foots in a warmer state to adopt him so he could stay outside year round instead of being cooped up in the house for 5 months or more of the year, but I expect there are many out there in his situation. I have tried to upload a picture but don’t think it worked.
Hello, thank you for taking him in! Kamp Kenan in south Florida would probably be more than glad to take him. Though you do have a good point, I disagree with part. I am a child, but I know much more than most adults do. I am in contact with the most famous bird breeder in the world. Although I am far...very far from the average child, it is unfair to say NO child should be able to have a tortoise or reptile. Of course, I am against kids getting baby turtles in Chinatown, but I do feel they handled it incorrectly. It was the children’s fault, they were wrong to blame the turtles. BUT, they shouldn’t ban kids from keeping pets-kids have just as much potential as adults with the proper care. Without kids getting into the hobby, the hobby will fade, leaving tortoises stranded and the currently owned populations of tortoises kept by older individuals in a death sentence, because all humans must take nature’s course of living and dying. Please tell me what you think!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I agree with you but we see so many younger members who come here when their tort is in distress. We give advice to deaf ears. Sometimes I think they are a troll just causing problems here. ( probably not a younger member). And a lot of times when they find the truth what needs to be done (because the pet store gives wrong advice).
I think they get sticker shock what it costs for proper care. Many think the 15 gal. aquarium and wrong lighting and substrate is all the tort needs. We try to be gentle with them but it gets aggravating when they start questioning our answers. I would love to fly around the U.S. and help them get started.