Shally

Location (City and/or State)
BIRMINGHAM
Hi everyone from West Midlands UK 😃

I've just joined as I have received the best birthday gift ever today!! .....a Horsfield tortoise!!...(obviously or I wouldn't be here) ... I have wanted a tortoise my whole life, and today, my 52nd Birthday, I finally have one! To say I am ecstatic is putting it mildly!

Not sure on gender yet as I know it's hard to sex them until they're older....my lil one is 2 yrs old ....so havnt chosen a name yet....but have been saying "him" and "he" all day.

I look forward to learning and sharing lots of new information and will post pics of my lil beauty soon.

Happy torti tickling

Shally 🙂

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas

I've just joined as I have received the best birthday gift ever today!! .....a Horsfield tortoise!!...(obviously or I wouldn't be here) ... I have wanted a tortoise my whole life, and today, my 52nd Birthday, I finally have one! To say I am ecstatic is putting it mildly!

Not sure on gender yet as I know it's hard to sex them until they're older....my lil one is 2 yrs old ....so havnt chosen a name yet....but have been saying "him" and "he" all day.

I look forward to learning and sharing lots of new information and will post pics of my lil beauty soon.

Happy torti tickling

Shally 🙂
welcome. :) we would all like to see pictures of the enclosure and of the tortoise to make sure everything is the way it should be. ;)

PS.
Happy Birthday! 🤗

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Happy birthday🎂 and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new tortoise!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, welcome, happy birthday and congratulations on your new tort.
There is a lot of old care information still being passed around and pet shops know very little about care but are happy to sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment.
This is the up to date caresheet you need to follow to give him the right living conditions

and if you post some pics of his enclosure members will help you make sure s/he'll be as safe an happy as possible.

www.thetortoisetable.org.uk will also help you find safe, good foods.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon. My Hermanns tortoise was a birthday present, twenty-one years ago - and he has been the best present ever, all this time.I only wish this forum had been around when we first got him - there was very little help or advice - you are lucky, as you have lots of knowledgeable people here to help you - congratulations on finding the forum so quickly !
And happy birthday for yesterday.
Angie

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
Hi everyone
Thank you for the warm welcomes and birthday wishes.

I have attached some pictures of my lil beauty to introduce him/her properly......everyone meet Turbo 🥰

I have also included a picture of current set up that my partner bought the day I had him. I'm not happy with the alfalfa pellets as I haven't read anything good about them!, and am awaiting delivery today of Aspen and proRep substrate and have also purchased some new decor, Seeds to grow natural foods and a slate to help with keeping nails and beak in good condition. I have also attached pics of the equipment I'm using.

Please feel free to give opinions and/or information, but please be nice I'm new and doing my best to make sure I have everything right for my lil Turbo ♥️ who is eating, pooping digging and burrowing and seems happy enough.

Attachments

• 20220502_094053.jpg
    20220502_094053.jpg
    968.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220502_094244.jpg
    20220502_094244.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220502_094233.jpg
    20220502_094233.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220502_130720.jpg
    20220502_130720.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220502_130736.jpg
    20220502_130736.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220502_130832.jpg
    20220502_130832.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 2

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida

Happy torti tickling

Shally 🙂
Welcome !

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Hi everyone

I have attached some pictures of my lil beauty to introduce him/her properly......everyone meet Turbo 🥰

I have also included a picture of current set up that my partner bought the day I had him. I'm not happy with the alfalfa pellets as I haven't read anything good about them!, and am awaiting delivery today of Aspen and proRep substrate and have also purchased some new decor, Seeds to grow natural foods and a slate to help with keeping nails and beak in good condition. I have also attached pics of the equipment I'm using.

Please feel free to give opinions and/or information, but please be nice I'm new and doing my best to make sure I have everything right for my lil Turbo ♥️ who is eating, pooping digging and burrowing and seems happy enough.
Those pellets are not good bedding. Eco earth or fine grade orchid bark is the way to go.

Shally

BIRMINGHAM
Hi Thomas Tortoise (sorry don't know how to put your message in my reply) I know they're not good I freaked out when I read about them they were sold with the set up when my partner bought
Turbo 💚🐢 for me, and along with the substrate I have read the care leaflet they also gave but after researching myself most of the info they recommend I won't be taking on board!! I have completely changed his enclosure now and have attached more pictures...hopefully this is more suitable for him (or her)

20220502_151301.jpg20220502_151148.jpg20220502_151257.jpg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Hi Thomas Tortoise (sorry don't know how to put your message in my reply) I know they're not good I freaked out when I read about them they were sold with the set up when my partner bought
Turbo 💚🐢 for me, and along with the substrate I have read the care leaflet they also gave but after researching myself most of the info they recommend I won't be taking on board!! I have completely changed his enclosure now and have attached more pictures...hopefully this is more suitable for him (or her)

View attachment 344106View attachment 344108View attachment 344107
What temperature is the basking spot? And to put my name in it you got to put a @ in front. For example @Shally

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi everyone

What a cutie. Welcome to the forum & congratulations!