Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
Hi,

We're new to the site but already finding it a wealth of information. We have many animals (squirrels, chipmunks, a mynah bird, etc), including Sri Lankan Star Tortoises, which we are trying to breed.

Our tortoises are 6 1/2 years old and very healthy. They laid eggs for the first time last year, but we didn't find them soon enough and the eggs did not make it.

I will probably be looking for information on artificial hatching of tortoise eggs, as it is too cold here where we live to hatch them naturally in the substrate.

Thanks!
Kris and Glenn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kris (or Glenn, as the case may be), and welcome to the Forum!!

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to tfo! Where are you at, if you dont mind sharing?

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

We're in Seattle, Washington. We didn't start out as reptile people, but after getting started attending reptile expos here locally (not as big on the West Coast, but still some decent expos) and selling our dart frogs about 7 years ago, we fell in love with this tiny unrelated pair of star tortoises, and that's how we got our tortoises. At first, it seemed pretty overwhelming to take care of them, but overall we got things down. The biggest issue is that the "Mrs." is kind of a bully of her boyfriend and doesn't like him to get much food :( Now (last spring) they started laying eggs and we just really want them to breed again this year and lay fertile eggs. We've incubated bird eggs before (duck eggs), but never reptile eggs, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect. But they're already mating again and the female has started digging, so I hope to have eggs soon. Wish me luck!!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Welcome from another in the beautiful PNW! I'm south of you in the “Pacific Wonderland" as it were. You've come to the right place to get current information to help you on a path of success. Check out the breeding section of the forum. You will find good help there. Also, check out the specie specific section. Again welcome!

3sulcata
7russian
2pancake
1uro
6cats
1syko dog
1 wonderful wife

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Welcome! I'm a newbie too and I'm glad to have more stars around! Can you post some pictures?

Frog Tropics

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for all the replies and welcomes! For whatever reason, there just doesn't seem to be a lot of detailed information on rearing Sri Lankan Star Tortoise eggs online. I can find a lot about breeding them, but that isn't the issue, but nothing about raising the eggs. Not sure if most people live in climates where they can just allow the tortoises to raise them on their own or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.