New Minigreen House Enclosures Finished (PIC HEAVY)

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just wanted to show you guys my summer project that I just wrapped up as summer came to an end. Luckily living in Florida gives me an extended date on cold weather, but this was a great project, a ton of fun to do with my family, and I just wanted to show you all the aftermath of four months of work. In all honesty if I worked at it continuously it would have been done a lot sooner, but my guys are all happy in their new night time/cold "winter" days of Florida. If anyone has suggestions, please feel free.

Another user posted the greenhouse off of Amazon (please feel free to remind me who if you see this :) ). The waterfalls were what took probably the longest to create. Hand made from styrofoam, using techniques I found from lizardlandscapes.com. The boarders/plant holders were made with the same method our frog lovers use to create their vivariums, with Great Stuff spray foam and silicone techniques.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414880.332918.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414899.136373.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414922.581914.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414943.720925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414970.120080.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413414995.721454.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413415014.299592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413415036.404408.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413415052.421094.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413415064.336158.jpg

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Those are awesome!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
What's that clear material your using? Does it maintain your desired temps at night?

— Gus

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Whatta job! They look beautiful! A little too beautiful.. Every once in a while, I'll see a flawless enclosure and think to myself, "That person put so much effort in that enclosure. That tortoise(s) is definitely loved." Then I think, "In a day or two, that loved tortoise is gonna be found relaxing somewhere after kicking dirt around EVERYWHERE." :p

But seriously, those greenhouses look amazing!

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses :)

Gus, the plastic material is polycarbonate roofing panels that were included in the greenhouse kit. My ambient temperature is about 9 to 10 degrees warmer at night without the use of lights or CHE's, reaching a low of 81-82. Once temperatures dip further down my lights/CHE's will be able to keep the temperatures up to 80 needed for night time. Basking spots are 102-103, cool end reaching 79 within the brick hides I provided. Humidity is a dream with the fountains and plants I've been able to keep it at 90% with no issues, and no damp substrate on the surface.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh wow, those looks AMAZING! I love browsing lizardlandscpaes, lots of great ideas! May I ask where you got those greenhouses? You did such a great job on those!

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
The user Aunt Caffy posted the greenhouses a couple months ago. Here's the link for anyone interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GX8EOO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I must add, the units themselves are not fun to put together; thankfully my neighbor next door is a whiz at that sort of thing and completed both without even looking at the instructions (and a motivating $50 for his time lol).

LizardLandscapes is a great resource. I wanted a way to keep humidity up naturally and the moving water is kept filtered and clean. I'll post pictures of the waterfalls themselves in a little bit. That aspect was really fun to create, even if it did take some time to dry/cure at the different stages. I'll probably be creating one on a larger scale for my largest Sulcata later on this winter so it can be ready for summer, with some modifications to make it more durable for extended use.

Here's the link for the waterfalls in case anyone is interested in those as well.
http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/how-to-make-a-waterfall.html

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh wow, that waterfall is GORGEOUS. Thanks for the links! I'd love to to do something like that for a tort (excuse to get another:p )

Burt0405

I've been wanting something like that little waterfall! Have you considered making these and selling them??

alysciaingram

5 Year Member
Florida
Here's some pictures of the waterfalls;

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413482518.289367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413482531.637600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413482541.525380.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413482560.072129.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413482569.238813.jpg

I chose to make them myself since the zilla ones on the market had terrible reviews, and we're more expensive than just making them myself. Plus the filters I installed have a fantastic quality to them, and should probably last a very long time. If people were interested, I would definitely not mind selling them. The process does take a long time to complete though, which is the only down side to that. Now that I'm getting comfortable with the process and making it something of my own (trial and error of four of these things will do that to you lol) it's becoming less of a "what the heck does he want me to do?!" And more of an enjoyable hobby.

Ps I love this forum and how positive you guys all are!

Burt0405

Well if you do decide to sell me consider me an interested buyer! Would attempt it myself but I'm currently just renting a room at a friends and trying to keep the DIY messy projects to a minimum lol