New Mom to 2 Baby Sulcatas

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamcal

5 Year Member
Hello,
My name is Tami and I'm a new mom to 2 baby sulcatas that I was told were 3 months old. Their shells are just over 2 1/2 inches long and they look and act pretty healthy to me. We bought them from a reptile store in Tampa, Florida 9 days ago. The owner didn't pretend to know everything about tortoises, he was more about snakes, so thankfully he didn't give us a bunch of crappy information. He basically said they'll get really big, and do some research on line to get the best care advise. My boys named them Brutus and Rocco but those could change. I'm really glad I found this site after getitng frustrated about all the sites talking about how to care for your tortoise with no mention of the difference between caring for a juvenile or adult vs. a hatchling. When I learned the terminology I googled tortoise hatchling care and it took me straight to a wonderful post with care sheet by Tom. I've been obsessed with this site since.
The best thing I've learned is the benefits of humidity to combat pyramiding and have been following Tom's research on the end of pyramiding thread. I'm posting some pics of my little guys/girls and welcome opinions on the start of possible pyramiding. I don't have the eye for it, they seem OK but want to hear from others.

Brutus
P1080404.JPG

P1080408.JPG

P1080416.JPG

Rocco- Notice the uniqueness of his front center scute. Is this a deformity?
P1080430.JPG

P1080422.JPG

P1080421.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I love Rocco's scute! It's not a deformity, it's more just a cosmetic uniqueness. :D It does not harm or weakened him in any way. I myself, have a love for split or extra scuted tortoises. :cool:

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Both lovely little babies. I too love the unique scute. I would also have picked this one :cool: Don't see any pyramiding on them.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Leave it to the herpsman that knows little to nothing about tortoises to get it right! He was probably keeping them humid like his snakes! Congrats on some cute little guys...they're gonna get big fast! Check out the first link in my signature for an updated sulcata care sheet! And welcome Tami ;)

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
Leave it to the herpsman that knows little to nothing about tortoises to get it right! He was probably keeping them humid like his snakes! Congrats on some cute little guys...they're gonna get big fast! Check out the first link in my signature for an updated sulcata care sheet! And welcome Tami ;)

-- what a sec. I thought the prevailing attitude here was to keep hatchling somewhat humid. Thus preventing pyramiding...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new babies.

There are a bunch more threads, like the ones you already found, in my signature.

chris_m90731 said:
-- what a sec. I thought the prevailing attitude here was to keep hatchling somewhat humid. Thus preventing pyramiding...

There is a LOT more to it than just that, and if you look around a bit, you might choose a different word than "prevailing". While many people have tried it and had great results, there are some who are trying other things with success too. This is an area of ongoing research. There are many questions yet to be answered.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome, tami! You sure do have some cute sulcatas. It is really fun to watch them GROW. I've only had my little one, Dex, since June 19. Congrats!

tamcal

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your welcome replies. I look forward to speaking with all of you as my little ones grow to be not so little. We're all in it for the long haul huh? I can't stop watching them; My favorite is the Lady and the Tramp spaghetti reenactment when they both pick up the same piece of greens and start chewing away. They have so much character and are way more active than I had expected:) A little bit of me thought we were buying pet rocks- boy was I wrong!! These little rocks have stolen my heart already:)

Status
Not open for further replies.