New Mom to Russian Tortoise

Boris' mom

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hi All,
New to site and new tort mom so need some help with Boris. We've had him for 7 days and he's buried in his hide. We're in Florida so weather is perfect for him. I have woke him to feed and bathe, he's not interested in our food. I let him in yard and he's eating our weeds; pusley and wedelia. He hasn't been drinking so we've been soaking him for 20 min. He seems very lethargic so I'm not sure if he's acclimating to us or if there's something wrong. His head is out looking around and he's seems inquisitive but doesn't walk too far and just wants to sleep. He basically walks a little to find weeds, eats and finds a spot to fall asleep. When we put him in his house he either goes in his hide, under fake log or digs in corner and sleeps. He has some scales falling off above both eyes, when I put him in bath he takes his legs and rubs above eyes. He went to bathroom 1 and 2 the second day we had him but not since. He does have some white spots on top shell (see pics) and one white on belly. The bottom band on his shell is translucent and one is chipped. His shell seems to be hard so not sure if he could have shell rot? There is no discharge from eyes or bubbling from mouth. His mouth is pink, when he sleeps his legs move so all looks healthy there. He's 4.5" not sure how old or if wild caught, we're thinking maybe he's still young. We got him thru mail so I'm wondering if he's sick? Any answers will be helpful! Thanks, Boris' mom.

Attachments

• 20210914_171404.jpg
    20210914_171404.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210914_210941.jpg
    20210914_210941.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210914_211344.jpg
    20210914_211344.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 8

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. What bulbs are you using?

Boris' mom

FL
Welcome to the forum. What bulbs are you using?
No bulbs, he's in a Tortoise House kept outside. We've been monitoring temp in house his hide during day is 80 other side is 90. At night hide is 75. It's kept in a shaded area. I've been waking him and putting him outside but he doesn't do much just looks around. On day 4 he did walk maybe 50 feet but hasn't since. He hasn't eaten any food we give him just weeds in yard. Area is quiet and I monitor from a distance so not to spook. Yesterday I had him in my lap while on computer and he fell asleep. As I was looking at tort shell pics his shell looks so dry and beat up compared to pics. So I'm wondering if he was wild. Today is day 8 and he is eating some romaine hand fed, won't go near bowl. After I fed him he went back in hide. It would be comfortable for him outside I put him under banana tree with light breeze but he fell asleep. So he's sitting here on my lap sleeping it's 10:30 a.m. beautiful sunny day and he's sleeping? I not sure if I should bring him to vet. He doesn't seem scared just lethargic. Or are we expecting too much from him? Oh and we have plants, water bowl, river rock in his house and he hasn't inspected that either, just goes to hide. Thanks

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Darn...any idea how old he is? Don't hand feed him...I'd get some Spring Mix add other leafy stuff cut all up and mixed to, maybe some cooked squash with the greens...put his food in the same place daily. I feed on the ground or use a Frisbee. I also think routine is important for tortoises. I do the same thing the same way daily...

Boris' mom

FL
Age no clue, I did reach out to where we bought him but no reply. Since his shell is so beat up I think he could be wild. Compared to pics of shells on website his is a hot mess. His shell looks very dry and lots of ripples with white dots we have been bathing him every day. Will do with food and we have been trying to get into routine with him but he just wants to sleep. I'm just not sure if he's sick.