New mommy and worried (baby Sulcata behaviors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

free2bme78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reno, NV
I received my juvenile sulcata "peanut" a week ago and he ( no clue as to sex yet) seemed to be doing well. He is eating and active. He pooped a huge log on his second day home but hasn't since. The top of his head looks scalier than before and his eyes don't always seem right. Not really sunken but less pronounced than I remember. I have been soaking him in warm water daily for about 10 minutes and then he gets restless and tries to climb out. Then he is really active and eats. Than he proceeds to burrow into his favorite corner near the heat or UVB light (both are in the same area). He does not drink any of the water while he is soaking and I am concerned about dehydration.

He is housed indoors in a tortoise wood tortoise table. Warm side is 85 degrees and cool side is 70. He has no interest in his hide box (70 degrees). I put him in and he goes right back to his corner. I don't know if I should be worried or not! I have a habit of worrying too much about the living beings in my life. By the way it is cold here in Reno so outside is not an option at the moment.

Thank you for letting me ramble and I look forward to "meeting" all of you!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: New mommy and worried

Hi and welcome! Rambling is not what you were doing, you were giving us much needed information. Can I ask about humidity and what your using for substrate? I think he is going back out to his "corner" because he is too cold in the hide. Actually you should bump the warm side temps up a little, too.

If you go to the sulcata section and read the threads at the very top of the section, they can give you a few more ideas.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California

Welcome to TFO, sorry I don't know a whole lot about sulcatas :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Jennifer:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

free2bme78

5 Year Member
Reno, NV

Laura said:
and make sure his light is NOT a coil type bulb.
What are you feeding him?

It is a reptisun UVA UVB vapor bulb. I learned here that coil bulbs are a no no!

free2bme78

5 Year Member
Reno, NV

I feed him a spring mix and a couple times a week a little pumpkin. Turtle source.com sent some of the tortoise food he was raised on but he isn't interested. His substrate is topsoil with no additives and grass hay.

I am buying some moss and a humidity gauge after work and already lowered the bulb closer to his enclosure. I'm getting an 86 reading now on warm side and 76 on cool side.

Thank you all for the welcome and advice. I will post pics later and update.

free2bme78

5 Year Member
Reno, NV

A couple of pics

Attachments

• image-1078096506.png
    image-1078096506.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 32
  • image-3845956139.png
    image-3845956139.png
    198.9 KB · Views: 32

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

Welcome :)

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I think a temperature raise would help. It should be 95-100 degrees on the hot side and 75-80 degrees on the cooler side.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Doesn't sound like there's a real problem at the moment, but I would soak him/her longer than 10 minutes a day. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to soak him when he gets up, and when they are ready to sleep for the night. Soaking 2 or more times a day can never hurt a sulcata baby. Make sure he is defecating and urinating daily.
Sylvia

free2bme78 said:
I received my juvenile sulcata "peanut" a week ago and he ( no clue as to sex yet) seemed to be doing well. He is eating and active. He pooped a huge log on his second day home but hasn't since. The top of his head looks scalier than before and his eyes don't always seem right. Not really sunken but less pronounced than I remember. I have been soaking him in warm water daily for about 10 minutes and then he gets restless and tries to climb out. Then he is really active and eats. Than he proceeds to burrow into his favorite corner near the heat or UVB light (both are in the same area). He does not drink any of the water while he is soaking and I am concerned about dehydration.

He is housed indoors in a tortoise wood tortoise table. Warm side is 85 degrees and cool side is 70. He has no interest in his hide box (70 degrees). I put him in and he goes right back to his corner. I don't know if I should be worried or not! I have a habit of worrying too much about the living beings in my life. By the way it is cold here in Reno so outside is not an option at the moment.

Thank you for letting me ramble and I look forward to "meeting" all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.