New monstrous addition.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
This time of year we get a lot of relinquished big guys. Most from the northern states. I always love being able to tell people they are doing the right thing by respecting the best interest for the animal. Anyways, this is baby. He is 10 years old raised from a hatchling by a nice eastern european couple from Oklahoma. They could not put up with him getting out anymore etc... so he is our newest rescue resident. He tipped the scale on overload. So no idea on exact weight. But I'd guess 175+ he's bigger than my 12 year old male pops which is 29" and well over 150 pounds too. Good looking tort. Little bumpy, but that's OK. Kinda funny they named him baby. Baby big giant may be his new name.

BTW the wall behind him is 2' tall.

Attachments

• 1379697022683.jpg
    1379697022683.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 481

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So do you think he's a Sudan?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I Dont know Yvonne. I think I will ask where they got him from when he was a baby. Almost 200# or so at 10 years is rather large. He's every bit of 30-32"

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
He looks powerful, majestic! I love the name Baby! Tiny would have been outrageous too, but he is impressive.

ben awes

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
This time of year we get a lot of relinquished big guys. Most from the northern states. I always love being able to tell people they are doing the right thing by respecting the best interest for the animal. Anyways, this is baby. He is 10 years old raised from a hatchling by a nice eastern european couple from Oklahoma. They could not put up with him getting out anymore etc... so he is our newest rescue resident. He tipped the scale on overload. So no idea on exact weight. But I'd guess 175+ he's bigger than my 12 year old male pops which is 29" and well over 150 pounds too. Good looking tort. Little bumpy, but that's OK. Kinda funny they named him baby. Baby big giant may be his new name.

BTW the wall behind him is 2' tall.

A little bumpy! I would call that pretty darn smooth! what a gorgeous tort - wow! A Beast!

Ben

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great lookin' guy! (the tortoise, not you... even though you are too) ;) ;) :p :D

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-36412.html#axzz286J9Sa3f

Kelly, based on age and size of these from another post, maybe keep the food up, and you will have one that tops 300#'s in Big Boy Babe. Who knows huh?, there must have been a few out there before people fooled with them that got that big.

These are after all territorial male tortoises, where the success is based on bigger is better, to some extent. I think it might be possible. Just musing.

Will

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Holy. Cow. A captive bred beast! I won't doubt that he'll hit 250# in a few years. Is it possible for you to compare him to any of your smaller tortoises, under your supervision of course! What a beaut, has he ever mated?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Never mated. They had 2 and the other one died last year from pneumonia. Hence the relinquishing to me. We are much warmer than Oklahoma. They entrusted me with the remainder of his life. So this guy cannot be adopted. I am a man of my word. So might have to put him with my 28-29" female and compare the baby weights. Of course sperm retention also comes into play with pops the current big boy male I have had for 12 years.

Will said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-36412.html#axzz286J9Sa3f

Kelly, based on age and size of these from another post, maybe keep the food up, and you will have one that tops 300#'s in Big Boy Babe. Who knows huh?, there must have been a few out there before people fooled with them that got that big.

These are after all territorial male tortoises, where the success is based on bigger is better, to some extent. I think it might be possible. Just musing.

Willi

Indeed it is always musing seeing such beasts. Especially pure locale. I they to do the same with all species I have. Proves tough though. Baby sure does have a very similar shape in relation to Brads Sudanese. Know way to know. I'm going to ask the previous owner where they got them. Either way he's a biggen. For sure he will get all the food he wants. His pen now is 4000 square feet or so. So I will need to build him a new one over the winter with his own building. Lots of grass and greens for him here.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I'm happy to hear he's a permanent resident, but that's too bad his sibling passed. Is there a way to dilute the sperm retention? He'd probably produce monstrous babies! I also wonder if Baby is an offspring from an import especially if he came from a Sudanese bloodline.
tortadise said:
Never mated. They had 2 and the other one died last year from pneumonia. Hence the relinquishing to me. We are much warmer than Oklahoma. They entrusted me with the remainder of his life. So this guy cannot be adopted. I am a man of my word. So might have to put him with my 28-29" female and compare the baby weights. Of course sperm retention also comes into play with pops the current big boy male I have had for 12 years.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well the only way to purify or rid the retention. Would be to keep the female from any male until eggs show no fertility. 100% infertility of ova. Which would take who knows how long. Hmmmm. Would be interesting to find out the rate or percentage decline of sperm retention.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yvonne G said:
So do you think he's a Sudan?

About a year ago, Brad told me he placed a significant number of surplus adults here and there...so don't be surprised! I'm still waiting to find out about Climber and Jimmy's mom...she could be one of Brad's, as well!