New monstrous addition.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
can't wait to see this big guy in person tomorrow. When I pick up little Harry. I'm sorry but going to change his name to Frank or Bob . Harry is just to funny when you see it in black and white . Hopefully I will get to meet you tomorrow.

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Haha. Yeah harry is a funny name. Certainly can't wait. Glad your taking him. He is gonna love Houston.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
wow he's a biggie for 10 years.
how much does he eat per day and what will you give him
he is really awesome
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grass and a lot of it .:D:D:D

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Kelly,

He is beautiful. How lucky is he to have you? I like that they were tired of recovering him from his escapes. I would think he could plow down just about anything he wants. Thanks for sharing the picture and the story.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah this last one that made them take the plunge. He busted out and was in the middle of the road. Took 3 people to get him back. Ha.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Wow, what a monster! My first "turtle" dream was to move south and to have a heard of large sulcata. Seeing your pic brought me right back to those days. I have since learned that there are many small, cold tolerant species that can benefit even more from captive breeding, but your pic touches my heart still even today. That's exactly what I wanted.

I hope I come through TX sometime to meet Baby in person. So cool. I also hope you don't mind me inviting myself :)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
WOWO ...... nice speciman ....sure looks like my old Harley Sully" ...
I miss them big boyz! ...great looking tort .. and thanks for the rescue! :)

bigdog

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
This time of year we get a lot of relinquished big guys. Most from the northern states. I always love being able to tell people they are doing the right thing by respecting the best interest for the animal. Anyways, this is baby. He is 10 years old raised from a hatchling by a nice eastern european couple from Oklahoma. They could not put up with him getting out anymore etc... so he is our newest rescue resident. He tipped the scale on overload. So no idea on exact weight. But I'd guess 175+ he's bigger than my 12 year old male pops which is 29" and well over 150 pounds too. Good looking tort. Little bumpy, but that's OK. Kinda funny they named him baby. Baby big giant may be his new name.

BTW the wall behind him is 2' tall.

Wow very cool looking tortoise. When I lived in WI there was a pet store that would "board" the big guys (they never had any this big tho) over the winter for people.

sburgess1217

5 Year Member
Thank you for sharing! I prefer to read and view photos of larger tortoises, as mine will be that size. Our issues are certainly different than new hatchling torts. How to get the tort into the car for vet visits, etc.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
How big do they get !!!? It's one thing to read about them but to see it is hard to believe . Have you guys ever seen bigger ? How in the world did an older couple manage something like that? Who is brad ? Does he have big ones ? When I think of all the adds for hatchlings and their low price there must be millions out there . Is his shell really bumpy ,normal or pyramided ? I find it odd that with all The combined wisdom and experience on this board that you guys still find him remarkable , is he ?

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
Such a beautiful boy Baby is! Congrats I am so glad that you have him. Can't wait to see more pictures... he looks quite the stud. (LOL!)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
edwardbo said:
How big do they get !!!? It's one thing to read about them but to see it is hard to believe . Have you guys ever seen bigger ? How in the world did an older couple manage something like that? Who is brad ? Does he have big ones ? When I think of all the adds for hatchlings and their low price there must be millions out there . Is his shell really bumpy ,normal or pyramided ? I find it odd that with all The combined wisdom and experience on this board that you guys still find him remarkable , is he ?

Click the link in post #13. Will