New mum to Rudy the RT - some info please

Rudy_the_tort

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi Everyone.

I got Rudy 2 weeks ago, the reptile shop owner said he was around 1year old. I'm in Scotland so he is inside but in summer I will be building a big outdoor run.

He has settled in really well. He is eating well (dandelion, plantain, raddichio, spring greens, clover, pansies), I also bought the Mazuri pellets but he is not keen on them?! I put calcium on 5 days and Nutrabol sat/sun - not sure if this is the best way but I have read a lot if differing opinions.

I soak him every morning for about 20mins, he usually poo's and passes urates (like toothpaste, no grit) in there.

His basking temp sits around 33c and cooler end around 20c. I mist the hot end about 4 times a day as the humidity is dry, not sure if this is ok? It's an exo terra combo 125w solar glow bulb.

Just wondering if I'm doing things ok? A nervous new owner I guess! I'll add some pics.

Any info will be well received :).I have read the RT care sheets and they are fantastic. I love this forum!

Kate.

*I moved the terra cotta pot where the log hide is to create a more humid hide for him...

Attachments

• IMG_20180821_170244.jpg
    IMG_20180821_170244.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20180821_103624.jpg
    20180821_103624.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180820_095348_158.jpg
    IMG_20180820_095348_158.jpg
    703.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180824_123618.jpg
    20180824_123618.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Denmark
Welcome Kate i hope you enjoy your stay and i hope you take good care of the little guy he looks so cute!!!!!!! :D

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
He is adorable! In regards to the calcium, two tiny pinches twice a week would be enough. You could instead get him a cuttlebone. Some like to occasionly nibble on it. It provides calcium and helps to keep his beak trimmed. If you notice he isn’t using it, just scrape some off onto his food twice a week. Enjoy your cutie!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. You've done a great job there!

I would lower the basking lamp a couple inches and get the basking temp closer to 36. I agree with Tricia about the calcium. Too much can be as bad as not enough, and side you are feeding such a good diet, you really don't need much calcium supplementation at all. A little pinch twice a week should be plenty.

Rudy_the_tort

Scotland
Thank you for all the advice!

I now have a proper stand for his lamp and temps are up to 35/36c. I have to say he is a lot more active now! But he just loves to burrow in the corner under his lamp [emoji16][emoji274]

I will only use calcium twice weekly. What about the nutrobal? Does he need this?

Kate and Rudy.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana

Rudy_the_tort

Scotland
No, not growth hormone. It is calcium with extra vitamins, specifically D3 I think. I just keep reading a lot of different info on supplements and am a bit confused!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
No, not growth hormone. It is calcium with extra vitamins, specifically D3 I think. I just keep reading a lot of different info on supplements and am a bit confused!
Does he get time outside in the sun? If so, you don't need D3. I use herptivite by Rep-Cal.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Welcome, this is the place to receive great information. I, like you have a little Russian and have learned so much on this site. These little ones are so enjoyable.