New mummy help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melloola

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi!
I have a Hermanni Hermanni tortoise that arrived last week. She is supposed to be around a year old. She eats very well and seems very happy in her new home. My question is about handling her. She seems very nervous around me and spends a lot of time in her hide. I haven't been hadling her too much (just to put her in her bath), but when I do pick her up she poo's and wee's on me as if she is scared. I would love to be able to handle her but I don't know how to go about it. I really don't want her to be frightened. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get her used to me?

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Rather than picking her up, try putting your hand in her enclosure and letting her get used to your presence. Let her see you a lot, talk to her, and make sure you're within her line of sight when you're putting food down. You can't completely avoid handling her or she'll never get used to it, but try and do things on her terms - instead of picking her up, move your hand over to her slowly and rest it somewhere she can see it - and maybe stroke her head or leg a little if she'll let you.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Your tort will hide for the first week or two as they feel stressful from the move and a new environment...
Also what are the temps in your enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Melloola:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Another thing that might make her feel more comfortable when you pick her up is to carry her in a little bowl or tub so she doesn't have to think the giant is flying her around the room.

Melloola

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
tyler0912 said:
Your tort will hide for the first week or two as they feel stressful from the move and a new environment...
Also what are the temps in your enclosure?

Hi! THanks for replying! The temperature is around 87f at the moment. I've just switched the lights off as they've been on for 12hrs. Is that right?

Melloola

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
cherylim said:
Rather than picking her up, try putting your hand in her enclosure and letting her get used to your presence. Let her see you a lot, talk to her, and make sure you're within her line of sight when you're putting food down. You can't completely avoid handling her or she'll never get used to it, but try and do things on her terms - instead of picking her up, move your hand over to her slowly and rest it somewhere she can see it - and maybe stroke her head or leg a little if she'll let you.

Hi! Thanks, I will definitely try that with her!

Melloola

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
emysemys said:
Hi Melloola:

Another thing that might make her feel more comfortable when you pick her up is to carry her in a little bowl or tub so she doesn't have to think the giant is flying her around the room.

Hi!
My name is Melanie and I'm Stockport, Manchester, uk. I did think I might be scaring her because of my size! I'm not sure she's had much interaction with humans before.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Melloola said:
Hi!
My name is Melanie and I'm Stockport, Manchester, uk. I did think I might be scaring her because of my size! I'm not sure she's had much interaction with humans before.

Yay for North West UK! :)

Melloola

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Pokeymeg said:
Can we see some pictures of your new little one?? :)

I've tried to upload some but I'm getting an error message saying can't move files. The pic next to my name is little Meldrew though! I'll try again tomorrow.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Melloola said:
emysemys said:
Hi Melloola:

Hi!

Try bribing her w/ a treat...every tortoise has his/her price!

Eventually, hold him/her in your lap (on a towel, at 1st) and give her little treats...

Once he/she puts together the fact that you are The Goody Goddess, he/she'll be your bestest buddy.

Torts are practical like that! :p

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Melloola said:
Pokeymeg said:
Can we see some pictures of your new little one?? :)

I've tried to upload some but I'm getting an error message saying can't move files. The pic next to my name is little Meldrew though! I'll try again tomorrow.

Easiest way to add pics, I find, is to upload them to PhotoBucket then just copy the IMG link you're given into the post. We need pictures, you're the closest Hermann's owner I know of! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.