New need help

Dark

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi im paul
2 years Ago I bought a tortoise on a street near my neighborhood I got her for 20$
The guy that sold me the tortoise said it was a desert tortoise and that it won't need much space since they get only 10 inches
It was an impulse buy I'm sorry... so now for two years she lived happily in my backyard I didn't do anything besides giving her a water dish after I got her on the fifth day she started burrowing since the last 2 years she goes in the burrow herself if it's too hot or too cold she only ate grasses and all kinds of weeds that grew in my yard now she's big and it seems the guy lied to me I don't think it's a desert tortoise can someone tell me what species that is and if he looks healthy also what should I do better or can I keep him in my backyard still like the last 2 years thx
20190316_232803.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I cant see the extra scute behind the head. Looks like a sulcata to me. And yes it will get big. If others confirm a sully read the care sheets here under the sulcata section.
Not sure what area of Texas you are from but should have a heated enclosure. There are many good ideas here you can get some ideas. Not sure how big he is but he could probably use a good soaking. Usually for a 1/2 hr in warm water depth up to where the top and bottom shell meet .

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
That looks like a beautiful sulcata tortoise. Definitely start soaking everyday for 30 minutes in warm water. Also be sure water is available for him to walk into and self soak and drink outside in his enclosure at all times. Look up heated night box and you will find great plans.

xMario

Germany
Hi im paul
2 years Ago I bought a tortoise on a street near my neighborhood I got her for 20$
The guy that sold me the tortoise said it was a desert tortoise and that it won't need much space since they get only 10 inches
It was an impulse buy I'm sorry... so now for two years she lived happily in my backyard I didn't do anything besides giving her a water dish after I got her on the fifth day she started burrowing since the last 2 years she goes in the burrow herself if it's too hot or too cold she only ate grasses and all kinds of weeds that grew in my yard now she's big and it seems the guy lied to me I don't think it's a desert tortoise can someone tell me what species that is and if he looks healthy also what should I do better or can I keep him in my backyard still like the last 2 years thx
View attachment 267451
Hello and welcome
This is a sulcata tortoise and they get WAAAY over 10 inches more like 30-40 inches
Ur tortoise has pyramiding (high shell domes) due to low humidity but otherwise looks really healthy what is suprising to me since u left her to be in your backyard
That she ate grasses and weeds is actually really good that's a good diet and it was also good that u gave her at least water
There are many things u should change... u can read her on the forum here is everything u need go to species specific
African tortoises sulcata tortoises

I'm not very experienced so I hope that some more experienced people will help u
@Tom @Markw84

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

That is a sulcata, and you are lucky it is still alive. Burrowing in summer is a great way for them to escape the intense Texas heat, but burrowing in winter is often a death sentence for a variety of reason, number one being cold. This is a tropical species. They don't come from the desert. Its always hot there, year round, and they do get large and destructive.

All you need is a heated night box and you can carry on as you have. When the hot weather returns you can let the tortoise use the burrow. Then, in fall, block off the burrow entrance when the tortoise is above ground and make it start sleeping in its heated night box. Here are three examples:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Dark

Texas
Thank u all for your answers
I decided that I will keep on like I did but build her an outdoor night box and I'm gonna cement her burrow cause I cant get her out if she's too far in it's actually 12 feet deep... pretty astonishing for me
Paul