New Outdoor Enclosure for my Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

derf

5 Year Member
What do you think? Can you reccommend any improvements? I'm thinking i need more hide spots/covered areas. My dandelion planting is also pretty poor:p. im going to put a woodden frame over the top with chicken wire.

Attachments

• DSC00654.JPG
    DSC00654.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC00653.JPG
    DSC00653.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 84

derf

5 Year Member
I've place a frame over the tp so he shouldn't be able to get out, i'l upload a picture tomorrow

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Do you have anything down into the ground. Russians are really good diggers. They will dig right under! Looks nice though!

M

Maggie Cummings

He's gonna escape from that the very first time he's alone. Russians are good at climbing out and I can promise you he will escape. It's a beautiful habitat for any other species but Russians will climb out or dig out...be prepared...I saw one climb a screen door. They are great climbers...

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Tallula even climbed part of our screen door one day !!! I thought she was a huge bug hahaha. But she only climbed near the bottom and dropped off to run around more.
Looks like a lovely enclosure Derf, just make sure its predator and escape proof !!! :)

derf

5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
Do you have anything down into the ground. Russians are really good diggers. They will dig right under! Looks nice though!

I dig up the gorund and put chicken wire underneath then rolled the turf back over it

tortoisenerd said:
water dish?

The clay pot thingy is serving as a water dish at the moment till i can find something bigger

This is the frame i put over it to stop him climbing out or predators getting in

Attachments

• DSC00657.JPG
    DSC00657.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 45

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Glad you put a top on it. For the water dish. just get a bigger pot dish.. one that his body can fit into. Or those plastic ones they sell for 30c in the plant dept. Might be a bit slippery, but they are shallow.

oh and it you partially bury the flower pot on its side.. mine used it much better that way. he could go in and dig down, but not dig out and it was dark and cozy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice! I too was worried the tortoise would use the crevices between the poles to climb out, so I was glad to see the nice cover you made for the habitat. Your tortoise will have many enjoyable outside days there!

Yvonne

derf

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Glad you put a top on it. For the water dish. just get a bigger pot dish.. one that his body can fit into. Or those plastic ones they sell for 30c in the plant dept. Might be a bit slippery, but they are shallow.

oh and it you partially bury the flower pot on its side.. mine used it much better that way. he could go in and dig down, but not dig out and it was dark and cozy.

I just bought a new dish today, one that she can fit in:). Yeah, i buried the plant pot a bit, but it needs to be deeper

M

Maggie Cummings

You've done really well. The top is great...good job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.