New outdoor enclosure for my soon to be 2 baby aldabras

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Alabama
Hey everybody! I have been working outside all day in this north Alabama heat/humidity to build a new outdoor enclosure for Jackson and his new buddy . I will be receiving my new Aldabra baby this week, Jackson and his new friend are both @ 6” now and I am looking forward to next couple of feet ? The enclosure is 14x24 , it should be big enough for them for about 1 year. We are building a new house next year and they will have a 50 x100 enclosure and a heated house. This winter, I plan on housing them inside in a 4x8x3 sealed enclosure, with outside excursions when the weather permits. We can have 75 degree days in the middle of January here, so I am hoping to be able to get them outside at least a little in the winter months, especially when they get a little bigger.

Attachments

• 1124A977-321A-4957-B1C9-552687B28ADE.jpeg
    1124A977-321A-4957-B1C9-552687B28ADE.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 45
  • 468EC8FD-BD33-4830-864A-54A7917612CB.jpeg
    468EC8FD-BD33-4830-864A-54A7917612CB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 43

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises should never live as pairs. Not any species, not any age.

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
wow Tom, you may actually be wrong about something! LOL Look at aldabramans tortoises ,not many of them are alone? Looks to me like every where I have ever seen aldabras,in the wild ,in captivity, they are not alone, so what makes you say that aldabras cant be kept together ? Is everyone but you wrong ? How many aldabras do you have ?

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
If it looks like any trouble I can always give each one its own area

Mishami

California
Tom was talking about pairs not larger groups. Pairs are not advised due to the stress it creates between both animals and how it can lead to bullying and even death. I know aldabras and redfoots/cherry heads can do well in groups, however it is not to often one sees these species being kept in pairs. End of the day, I was in a similar situation and wanted to get another aldabra but decided against it as the potential risks I felt outweighed the benefits. Just my two cents on the subject. Do you have plans on setting up a quarantine for the new animal?

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
I am planning on getting more, so not a pair, just can’t afford to get more than 1 at a time, ?

lazybfarm

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Alabama
Also, maybe I wasn’t clear about the indoor sealed enclosure, each tort has his own enclosure, so not together, outside maybe, depending on how they act around each other, I think if they have a large enough area,They will be fine , I will make sure of it ?