New Outdoor Enclosure..need your help please.

KNC7

Hello everyone,

I am currently building my outdoor enclosure for my 2 sulcatas and need some tips. I have read that its best to put flat stones underneath the tort shelter. I live in the Philippines and want to make sure I give my torts the best environment. I'm placing grass, some places where they can hide from the sun and shallow water containers. Besides hibiscus, what other plants can they eat and are easy to maintain? Any suggestions and ideas will help.

Thank you,
Kara

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hello everyone,

I am currently building my outdoor enclosure for my 2 sulcatas and need some tips. I have read that its best to put flat stones underneath the tort shelter. I live in the Philippines and want to make sure I give my torts the best environment. I'm placing grass, some places where they can hide from the sun and shallow water containers. Besides hibiscus, what other plants can they eat and are easy to maintain? Any suggestions and ideas will help.

Thank you,
Kara
Hi Kara and welcome.

So you can receive the best help in your quest can you give some indication of your enclosure size, maybe a photo of the area thats to be an enclosure. What size are your sulcata?

KNC7

Hi Anyfoot,

I've been busy all week. The size of my enclosure is about 10 square meters. My sulcatas are about 5-6 inches big. I'm currently planting grass and placing some hibiscus plants in the enclosure. It gets lots of shade and sunshine. I will be placing a couple of shallow water containers that they can soak in if they wish or drink from. My main concern is burrowing, do I have to put harder stones underneath the tort shelter?

Thanks,
Kara

KNC7

Let them burrow.
They apparently dig down and come back up the same way. So they won't tunnel out. If that's your concern.

Hi Zeropilot,

Im just concerned about what I've read with collapsing burrows. I live in the Philippines where we can get lots of rain and the ground can erode. I would love to leave it as natural as possible for them and as comfortable.

Kara

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some tortoises are happy to use tubing or large flowerpots. It makes them feel like they have gone underground.
It rains a lot here, too. I don't have digging tortoises, though.

FloppyJellyRoll

Some tortoises are happy to use tubing or large flowerpots. It makes them feel like they have gone underground.
It rains a lot here, too. I don't have digging tortoises, though.
You could actually use a tube to slide in their tunnel so that it supports the upperground

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is what I do . See pictures below

1461445195493.jpg 1461445249807.jpg 1461445305538.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

KNC7

Thanks @FloppyJellyRoll and @mike taylor and @ZEROPILOT. Im so excited that they will have more space outside. I will take pictures of the area im closing off for my torts. When torts are mored outdoors, l've read that they dont grow as fast. Is this true? And can you only tell their gender once they've reached a certain size?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
[QUOTE="KNC7, post: 1314785, member: 87390"When torts are mored outdoors, l've read that they dont grow as fast. Is this true? [/quote]
Torts all grow at different rates depending on diet and living conditions. It is possible that it might slow growth. It's also possible that it won't make any difference whatsoever as diet is probably the biggest factor and you will be feeding the same things.

And can you only tell their gender once they've reached a certain size?
Absolutely. You probably won't be able to tell gender until it is getting on for 12 inches (30cm) long. If it's male, it's possible that it may "flash" at you (show his penis) when he's smaller... in which case all will be obvious. It's rather large, so there's no mistaking it.

KNC7

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Here are a few photos of my enclosure. And my torts Yoshi and Mr. Weatherbee.

KNC7

I'm trying to grow more grass for them to eat and I planted a few hibiscus plants..