New outdoor enclosure (picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spencer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Ohio
I started on the outdoor enclosure today. I used an existing flower bed that needed a lot of work so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. This will not be the permanent enclosure, but I think it will work until he outgrows the wall height and overhang clearance. Got a lot done, still a little to do. Approximate dimensions are 5'x18' ...currently for one Redfoot. Will probably end up with a couple more, I'm sure ;)

What would be some good (Ohio) plants to include in the space? I transplanted a small Hosta I already had. Any other suggestions? Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• enclosure2.JPG
    enclosure2.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 226
  • enclosure3.JPG
    enclosure3.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 189
  • enclosure4.JPG
    enclosure4.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 156
  • enclosure5.JPG
    enclosure5.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 148
  • enclosure6.JPG
    enclosure6.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 152
  • enclosure7.JPG
    enclosure7.JPG
    634.8 KB · Views: 151
  • enclosure8.JPG
    enclosure8.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 163
  • enclosure9.JPG
    enclosure9.JPG
    570.7 KB · Views: 216
  • enclosure10.JPG
    enclosure10.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 183
  • enclosure11.JPG
    enclosure11.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 178
  • enclosure13.JPG
    enclosure13.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 157
  • enclosure14.JPG
    enclosure14.JPG
    497.5 KB · Views: 196
  • enclosure15.JPG
    enclosure15.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 172
  • enclosure16.JPG
    enclosure16.JPG
    789.5 KB · Views: 171
  • enclosure17.JPG
    enclosure17.JPG
    570.5 KB · Views: 173
  • enclosure18.JPG
    enclosure18.JPG
    649.7 KB · Views: 200
  • enclosure19.JPG
    enclosure19.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 194

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks great. Love the pond. Can you reach him when he goes under the over hang? Are you leaving him out at night? The only thing I see that might be hard is protecting him from and wild animals or birds that might want to eat him. Unless of course you don't have those worries. I would raise the wall and add a hide when he got bigger. I think it's a nice place.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
That's a great garden and I love the pond. You can add some Irish Moss or Scottish moss around the pond so he doesn't drag in any dirt. It spreads and has little glowers during the Summer. Ground covers are good too and they can walk all over them and they will stay nice...just don't let it get too invasive. I like creeping jenny or sedum. Hosta's are good too, to sit under to get out of the sun a bit. I put in pansies and begonia's and what they don't eat looks so pretty. I also put some spring mix seeds in and they love the little sprouts, and some actually get to grow. I also have a fig tree and they eat the figs all summer. I throw in some Rose of Sharron seeds and they also eat the sprouts. If you put some in a pot and let it grow, you will have seeds every year and they eat the flowers and leaves. I also have a hardy hibiscus in there, which is good for shade and eating too.

Spencer

5 Year Member
Central Ohio
Thanks all, he really enjoyed it today! This was his first time outside, that i'm aware of, and he was on the go the whole time!
The overhang is about 24" so perfect for shade but easy to reach. (I bring him in at night). Terry, I added a filter to the pond but I like the idea of having some moss around it as well! I'll have to look into that for sure. Thanks!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Very creative! He looks cute in there, and it appears he gives it his stamp of approval. Nice space!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That will look even more fabulous when it is fully planted!

Well done :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Spencer

5 Year Member
Central Ohio
Eloise said:
very cute!! how deep is that adorable pond?

I filled it with pea gravel so it's about 4" but as he grows I can remove the gravel and get almost 8"

Team Gomberg said:
That will look even more fabulous when it is fully planted!

Well done :)

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

Thanks, Heather

lynnedit said:
Very creative! He looks cute in there, and it appears he gives it his stamp of approval. Nice space!

Thank you, he seems to enjoy it:)

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
AWESOME!

Oh wow the ideas you have put into my head!! That pond is absolutely amazing, i was going to use the lid to my sons sandbox, but that is such a better idea! I cannot believe i didnt think of it first haha, but kuddos to you! ill have to post pictures when im all finished, im currently in the middle of making an outside house for my sully.

skillcrane

5 Year Member
Great looking enclosure. I was also planning on adding a shallow waterfall type pond over the next few weeks to the backyard where I keep my new-to-me (16 year old) Sulcata. That way I don't have to worry about whether or not he has regular access to water for soaking. I thought that a moisture barrier should be sufficient if adding rocks over the top, & apparently I was correct. Thanks for showing me it can be done successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.