New outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay, FL
We finished the outdoor enclosure it's in our screened in patio so we don't have to worry about predators. There is a 40W CHE in her hide with sphagnum moss. Here are some pics...
DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

If you have any suggestions of things I am missing please help:) Thanks for all of your help thus far!!! We are so grateful!

jdawn

5 Year Member
Southwest
Destiny,
What a gorgeous enclosure! She is sure to have lots of adventures! That is great that you have a screened porch and don't have to worry about predators. 'Predator proofing' was one of my bigger challenges. Great job! ~ Jenny Dawn :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like it a lot, however, I'm worried about having that CHE inside that small hide box. They can get pretty darned hot.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Looks perfect to me. A tortoise paradise for sure. I love that little pond. Could you post a picture of it? Ohhhhh...I just realized that the CHE was inside the hide. That might be a little scary, and being so close to the moss in the hide it would probably dry it out, and it should be warm and humid in the hide. Otherwise...it's great.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
terryo said:
Looks perfect to me. A tortoise paradise for sure. I love that little pond. Could you post a picture of it? Ohhhhh...I just realized that the CHE was inside the hide. That might be a little scary, and being so close to the moss in the hide it would probably dry it out, and it should be warm and humid in the hide. Otherwise...it's great.

I have it on one side and I have read the temps and one side is 70 and the side the CHE is on is 80. I have a wet sock with a wet sponge in it hanging through the hide. The humidity last time I checked was 75%. It is going to be around 55 tonight so I put a heavy blanket over the whole enclosure to keep it warm. What should the temps be in the hide? Should I turn it off during the day? It will be 75 and sunny tomorrow.

Here's a pic of the pond...
DSC_0100.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I love the pond! Where did you get it? I'm looking for something a little bigger for my Russian.
Great enclosure! Lucky tort ;)

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
ChiKat said:
I love the pond! Where did you get it? I'm looking for something a little bigger for my Russian.
Great enclosure! Lucky tort ;)

I bought it at Lowe's it was supposed to be an extension of a bigger pond. It was only $11! My husband cut out a whole for it to fit down in.

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
I have one too, and i also grabbed it from L o w e s. Mine was 7 dollars--I dont even use it! I bought...just cos

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great idea, I'll have to look this weekend :)

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
&& for your hide...will you be able to take temps through out the day?? I dont know yellowfoots, sorry i cant answer you on the temps.

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
dreadyA said:
&& for your hide...will you be able to take temps through out the day?? I dont know yellowfoots, sorry i cant answer you on the temps.

I have not been able to take temps today. I will as soon as I get home and let you know what they are. So does everyone who has outside hides during the summer turn off all heating elements? I would assume I would do so, but I'm a newbie?? At what point (temp wise) so you turn them off?

M

Maggie Cummings

It takes time for the heating coil inside a CHE to heat up and a 40 watt one still gets plenty hot, I personally would not have it inside a hide. I use black light bulbs for heat in all my enclosures. They work fine and keep all the habitats warm and cozy.
A CHE would also work fine but turning it on and off would not work well. I would take it out of the hide box, and possibly place it next to the box. Are you planning on leaving your baby out at night?

Destiny

5 Year Member
Palm Bay, FL
maggie3fan said:
It takes time for the heating coil inside a CHE to heat up and a 40 watt one still gets plenty hot, I personally would not have it inside a hide. I use black light bulbs for heat in all my enclosures. They work fine and keep all the habitats warm and cozy.
A CHE would also work fine but turning it on and off would not work well. I would take it out of the hide box, and possibly place it next to the box. Are you planning on leaving your baby out at night?

Yes I do plan on keeping her outside at night. I guess that's what I'm wondering, do I turn it on at night while it's cool (58 degrees tonight) and turn it off during the day? I thought the temp in her hide was supposed to be warm. If I take it out at night won't it be 65 degrees? Is that too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.