New outdoor enclosure

Squirts

Location (City and/or State)
Fontana ca
Hello everyone! So I have a year old sulcata and we just finished her outdoor enclosure. I wanted to make sure we get the lighting right and the heating correct before she stays outdoors full time. She is now 9 inches long and weights 3oz. So far I have Timothy hay ready and that bark looking substrate, it has chicken wire on top so no predators can get in. I have a couple of houses for her. I need an idea for a heating house and her lighting, to make sure she will be nice and warm at night. Her enclosure is a 5 feet by 6 feet long enclosure. So hopefully that helps to get me some help.
I also have the clamp lighting in her indoor enclosure. Would I be able to use those clamp lights outdoors. And how do I keep the humidity high in her new outdoor enclosure. Hopefully I'm not asking to many questions. Thank u all for ur help. I want to make sure shes going to be okay and she will not continue to pyramid.

Squirts

Fontana ca
Hello sorry I just saw this now. But I meant she's 9inches and 3.88 lb. She's super solid to. And tomorrow I'll take a picture of the enclosure so you can see it. Thanks again for helping me out. :)

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
On first glance, the Timothy hay will need to go. They aren’t usually interested in it at that age and with trying to keep some humidity in there, it will mold. You can use orchid bark for the substrate.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
That shouldn't be too hard to heat at all given its size. Radiant heat panel(s) should do the trick. I cannot tell how deep it is, so I will forego recommending ceramic heat emitters. Does either of your enclosures allow the tort to walk out and munch on weeds at will? I agree with @TriciaStringer regarding using hay as a substrate. I'm also scratching my head about using a paint roller pan for its water. I'd be afraid of how easily the tort can move it. It's possible it might even flip it if approached at the right angle. Seems like a good idea at first given the slope. Perhaps if it were somehow anchored to the bottom to make it safer.I like the enclosure design. Reminds me of one I built (on a much smaller scale) for Ghost when he was little.

Squirts

Fontana ca
On first glance, the Timothy hay will need to go. They aren’t usually interested in it at that age and with trying to keep some humidity in there, it will mold. You can use orchid bark for the substrate.
Okay on the hay. I actually do have some of that orchid bark u can't see the two bags in the picture but I will have to buy more then of that bark. :) thank u for ur help

Squirts

Fontana ca
That shouldn't be too hard to heat at all given its size. Radiant heat panel(s) should do the trick. I cannot tell how deep it is, so I will forego recommending ceramic heat emitters. Does either of your enclosures allow the tort to walk out and munch on weeds at will? I agree with @TriciaStringer regarding using hay as a substrate. I'm also scratching my head about using a paint roller pan for its water. I'd be afraid of how easily the tort can move it. It's possible it might even flip it if approached at the right angle. Seems like a good idea at first given the slope. Perhaps if it were somehow anchored to the bottom to make it safer.I like the enclosure design. Reminds me of one I built (on a much smaller scale) for Ghost when he was little.
Yeah I mentioned to @TriciaStringer that I actually have two bags of that orchid bark so I will definitely get rid of the hay and put more bark in there. I had been reading on that Timothy hay but I guess I shouldn't use it. I also have two bricks that are holding the tray in position. Squirt is super heavy and I thought of her flipping it but the bricks hold it in place from the sides. But if I see it moved at all when she's in there I will take it out. As far as her being able to get out. She can't. We have coyotes here so I would want to keep an eye out for her. But the enclosure gets alot of light and air there. And I really don't have a grass. Its more cement. But when I'm outside I always take her out so she can walk more.