New owner..a few questions..

Kaylah6

5 Year Member
Hey all :) so I've just adopted a 7 year old male red foot from a lady who now has no room for him. My questions are, how often to I change his water, do I let him out the vivarium? He seems pretty nervous at the minute so I'm leaving him to settle and get used to my voice for a couple of days. Advice please :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 84

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Change water every day or two, depending on if it's clean. They need a higher humidity and a very large area.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm new to redfoots myself, but not totally new to tortoises. One came in thru my rescue, but I'm keeping him because he's just fabulous and outgoing.

I change water almost daily. He walks around and poops in it, so sometimes sooner.

Here are some observations and or notes I've taken while reading various care sheets and posts:

No basking...they are shade/jungle dwellers. Some enjoy it, but not required. I offer a basking area a few times a week.
Mist his shell (not substrate) daily.
Little UV needed. I have a 24" Flourescent ReptiSun that turns on 3x a week.
Lots of plants for hiding...thing thick jungle or "Edge of Rainforest".
Don't hibernate
They don't like bright lights. Avoid PowerSun. My closed chamber is heated with a CHE and a Blacklight bulb. It offers light and warmth.
Cool side 80°, warm side 90°, humidity 85%
Keep environment moist, so pour water in corners, not all over. They are prone to shell rot if on moist substrate all the time.
Feed a variety of greens and fruits (non-citrus). Feed animal base protein once a week.

Ok RF experts. If you see any badness in my above notes, please speak up! :)
I posted this 1) to help and 2) for feedback from you guys. This is my newest favorite species, so I'm learning all I can.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
That looks really, really good!
I would get him outside whenever possible for some natural UVB.
He is a handsome boy!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Poor baby...he's stressed because of his new surrounding. Change water everyday. You're doing just what a new owner should. Leaving him along until he gets to know your voice etc. Very handsome tort!

Kaylah6

5 Year Member
thanks for all your answers :) the vivarium he has already had the UV light and heat lamp so i'm ok with all that stuff. his previous owner told me he likes a bath, so I thought i'd start there, but he just seemed to want to be back out? water wasn't too deep for him and it was luke warm. so I took him out and let him wander around, when I picked him up he seemed pretty nervous and made like a gasping noise? but once he knew I wasn't going to hurt him I was able to gently stroke his head. however he still makes these gasping noises whenever I walk past the vivarium. is this just him getting a bit of a fright? also how often do I feed him? I read 3 times a week but that seems a little low?!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Kaylah6 said:
thanks for all your answers :) the vivarium he has already had the UV light and heat lamp so i'm ok with all that stuff. his previous owner told me he likes a bath, so I thought i'd start there, but he just seemed to want to be back out? water wasn't too deep for him and it was luke warm. so I took him out and let him wander around, when I picked him up he seemed pretty nervous and made like a gasping noise? but once he knew I wasn't going to hurt him I was able to gently stroke his head. however he still makes these gasping noises whenever I walk past the vivarium. is this just him getting a bit of a fright? also how often do I feed him? I read 3 times a week but that seems a little low?!

Does the gasp sound like a hiss? It's nothing to worry about. It takes tortoises a while to get used to new surroundings and he'll be nervous for a bit. I've read some folks feed every other day and others feed every day. If it were me, I'd let him have his fill each day but to make sure his diet is full of variety. How's his appetite so far? If he gets enough exercise each day, I wouldn't worry about if he's eating too much. Also, how long has the previous owner had that UV bulb? The UV output is greatly diminished (useless) after 6 months to a year depending on what type of bulb it is. Oh and as for baths, experiment with different water temps. If you measure with a temp gun, try 95 degrees, work down, and see if it works. He also might be antsy just because he's in unfamiliar territory. Beautiful guy you got there, btw :D

Kaylah6

5 Year Member
Thanks hes my first experience woth reptiles, ive more experience with rodents but im rather fond of him already :) I've been feeding him every other day and he's got a big appetite! I was thinking about leaving him some food for after he's been out that way he will know that if he comes out he will get a treat and help him trust me if that makes sense? Yeah that's it, like a hiss :) I was worried Til I noticed he did it when he was walking around and would come across an unfamiliar object. I think it's pretty new (the uv light) but I will ask the lady. Thanks for the advice it's all been really helpful :D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The hiss is simply the tortoise retracting into his shell. When they pull their head and legs in it forces air from their lungs (not enough room for all of it!) and it results in the hissing noise you're hearing.