New owner and new enclosure question re lighting

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi, I’m sure this has been asked before so I do apologise but I couldn’t find anything on here about it when I looked.

So, I’m planning on converting this bookcase into a tortoise table for my horse field by flipping it on its back and taking the shelves out. Would this be suitable? I’ve seen it a lot on Pinterest etc but now practical is it in reality?

My main IMG_7620.jpgquestion is regarding how many or how big a UV light I’d need for this size space? And is one heat lamp or 2 best?

I do realise that ideally for a horse field he’ll need at least an 8ft x4ft but this is just a temporary measure until space and financials allow for something bigger. It’s also much bigger than what he’s been housed in when I re-homed him so I’m thinking at least it’s an improvement to what he currently has even if it’s not perfect.

I’ve attached the measurements of the book case and a photo of his current table.

Thanks so much for any lighting help and recommendations and any advice on the table/suitability

[emoji4]IMG_7798.jpg

daniellenc

Maryland
I would use 2 18 inch fluorescents with 100 watt CHE. You’ll need a way to hang them though. You can seal the inside of the shelf and add a shower curtain inside to further protect the wood from rot. You can build a wooden or pvc pipe structure over it to hang the lights and che and use little chains and hooks. There are a ton of pictures for ideas but my only concern is the height. Russians are smart climbers and those sides are low. Add substrate and it’s an invitation to skip town. I’d build some kind of top.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
I would use 2 18 inch fluorescents with 100 watt CHE. You’ll need a way to hang them though. You can seal the inside of the shelf and add a shower curtain inside to further protect the wood from rot. You can build a wooden or pvc pipe structure over it to hang the lights and che and use little chains and hooks. There are a ton of pictures for ideas but my only concern is the height. Russians are smart climbers and those sides are low. Add substrate and it’s an invitation to skip town. I’d build some kind of top.

Thank you that’s really helpful. I was thinking of a lid a bit like a rabbit run, made of chicken wire and wood. Not the most attractive but I think it’s practical?

daniellenc

Maryland
Thank you that’s really helpful. I was thinking of a lid a bit like a rabbit run, made of chicken wire and wood. Not the most attractive but I think it’s practical?
Very practical and cheap but you may want to use wide gauge chicken wire because screens block out UV. The CHE however could sit right on top as long as it's high enough.

Kelly.324

Durham UK

Instead of 2 18inch lights could I get 1 36inch bulb?