New owner. Baby hermann tortoise

RafaelEspinoza

Location (City and/or State)
United States
So i got a baby hermann tortoise that is about 1 month old. I had have him( still can't really tell gender) for about 2 weeks now. But i can't seem to be able to get him to eat any of the food i give me. He only eats dandelions leave, some random small plant i growing on my back yard. But he won't even touch kale, carrot or other food.

Koen

5 Year Member
Belgium
He is probably a bit stressed by his move and he is a baby after all. Babies sleep a lot.
Nothing to worry about I would say.

What are his temps?

Franco F

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New York, New York
I wouldn't feed him/her carrots anyway, and I would limit the kale intake. What part of the United States are you from? If you're from a relatively warm area, I would suggest picking weeds from an undisturbed area of a park or anywhere where weeds grow naturally

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's what you should be offering your baby: Pesticide-free weeds grown in the yard such as dandelion, clover, plantain, catsear, thistle and vetch make for excellent food items. Mulberry leaves are also recommended. Sometimes, supermarket produce may be your only option. Whenever possible, purchase only organic greens and stay away from all lettuces. Collard greens, mustard greens, radicchio, endive and turnip greens will suffice in moderation.

I copy/pasted the above food items from our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

RafaelEspinoza

United States
So sorry for not replying i m still learing how to use this app. And he started eating. Im from California. The temperature in his enclosures is 88-91f

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
So sorry for not replying i m still learing how to use this app. And he started eating. Im from California. The temperature in his enclosures is 88-91f

Which area of california? If it's socal, there should be weeds still growing during this time of the year - catsear, dandelion leaves/flowers, mallow, chickweed, kidney weed, all of which are appropriate weeds for your hermanns.

RafaelEspinoza

United States