New owner (Check Out My Enclosure)

Mel from hell

Location (City and/or State)
Adams Center. Ny
Yes. Ur correct. I said what I said, about that Tupperware container B.C I
Was worried he’d never seen out. Guilty as charged. I’ll back, what I say. And? I DID stick a fork in a toaster when I was 9.,.,
I figured, I’d not say what I felt, real soon n this? Is likely. It. The senior keepers, even though I’m, just about the oldest, they..... want u to listen to their advice, so? Have at it. I just wanted to enlighten others, that there’s more than one way.
My two issues, were being interactive with your tort n in seeing certain abilities to them, that apparently few others, see);
And Taylor T?i accept my award! No worries.
The train wreck award,was made for me(;
But also, please knowi will postwhenever I feel like it. I’m neither dissuaded or afraid of discourse. And grammar? I write, as I speak is all. Kill me!
All I All, I’ve handed out3? Possible cures to some. i hope they lived., most people said to bring it to a vet.most? Cabot afford a Vet n come here for possible cures n help,
Do I feel better I wrote my dissertation?! Yes. Remarkably,I so
And the 14 yr old girl? I Know, what I read n saw. Period.
I wish I could have my train work award,in person as I’d display it. I’ll never say I was wrong, but I Will say I can’t possible succeed
Helping sick animals,with the Group, if I’m already, 6 feet under as far as replies go.
Y’all want me to shut up n quit espousing my own views? Welll. Uh uh. If I see someone needs veterinary advice, I’ll give it. It’s good for them to add additional meds. N practices to their fight save their torts.
Being long winded is my nature and I don’t plan on stopping. WhatI IWILL stop doing though, is arguing my point as It’ll get me nowhere except the people who’ve written me privately.
Ms train wreck,2018
Mel

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
I, went off on a tangent because someone suggested tortoises don’t “ need to see outside their enclosure n are not too sentient or something along those lines. I did not start my own thread, for My thoughts n was reminded I hijacked your, thread. My content? I back. But it WAS wrong of me to piggy Back, on a Your post about your tortoises new home. I, am very sorry for doing that. I’ll figure out all these posting rules, as time goes by. Your enclosure was very nice and I hope he’s doing great.
Again, I apologize. I’m new to Forum life n did not realize I should’ve started my own:)
Mel

drew54

Indiana
I, went off on a tangent because someone suggested tortoises don’t “ need to see outside their enclosure n are not too sentient or something along those lines. I did not start my own thread, for My thoughts n was reminded I hijacked your, thread. My content? I back. But it WAS wrong of me to piggy Back, on a Your post about your tortoises new home. I, am very sorry for doing that. I’ll figure out all these posting rules, as time goes by. Your enclosure was very nice and I hope he’s doing great.
Again, I apologize. I’m new to Forum life n did not realize I should’ve started my own:)
Mel

I was confused with the 14 year old girl comments. Lol I obviously missed something.

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
I’m finally able to Find! The thread where I’m arguing for tortoises, intelligences.
I have zero, technical skills. They mystify me. Luckily, dissecting people, require none. Not my generation at least.
But back to the No Hippocampus remark. 90% of us, know that.
But here’s a thought for you?
The Pallium

Sincerely,

The Trainwreck
( embracing my new title)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That’s ok. I expect dissention. I speak from My experience and the fact that my tortoise, likes to look out.
How does one “ know”, that a pet/animal does not “ like”, to look out, though?to say it has no, “ benefit”? To look out of its enclosure? That’s rich. Givin a choice? I’ll bet anyone or thing, would like to see a bit of the world around them. If my llamas don’t get to go Out, in their pasture for too long, they are subdued and sad. When I traveled with my python in a dog carrier? Her sweet self,changed for the 2 weeks. Now, back to normal.
If u want any sort of pet? Think and read up on them.
Get the best u can afford. If it’s “ too small”? Then let ur tort somewhere to roam a few days a week like I do.its just a room with furniture. She enjoys it n has a routine. When I get Ruby up every day, she’s waiting for me. She comes, to me. She has all sorts of different experiences. Can she wag her tail? Of course not. But anyone who keeps a pet, they Know. They know, when their pet is happy or sad. I don’t discount her mentally or species wise. She knows happiness or sadness, just like we do. If u have a tortoise in something opaque? All I’m saying is take them out n interact. Does everyone have, a spare room To let a lil pet roam about? Of course not. And by the way, I have steam heated floors. But in Seattle, I let her get up to all kinds of stuff. I know, what’s considered harmful, just like y’all, do.
I was a working scientist for 30 years. I can debate Theories, all day long. our animal practices are obviously different. Ruby? Comes if called. Perhaps, because she can See, me. :) certainly, I’m not alone?

Forums, are for sharing ideas and that’s all, I am doing.

I’m sorry you feel that way . I joined the Forum to learn from those that know more then me and help me help others get answers to there questions.
And some theories are great but cause my dog runs around the back yard I’m not going to throw my goldfish in the back yard Or exspect my tort to live in a pond .
And in 18 years with my torts I’ve learned a lot and if you choose to listen their are a lot of people here that want to help you and they will !
Have a great day ![emoji217]

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
I have read your post, twice n do not “” get”” your response, to Me. Dog runs, pond, goldfish? Please? Feel free to enlighten me,alright? Thanks!

Kelly.324

Durham UK
I have had My Russian tortouse Dobby for about a week now. I think this is the way his enclosure will stay for a while and that amount of food is what I have been giving him daily. I Also give him daily 10 minute soaks. Does everything seem alright with how this has been set up? I am going to buy two or three succulents to throw in there and I was also thinking if adding some earth worms to clean the soil and make it more fertile for the plants. What do you guys think? Thankyou.View attachment 257903View attachment 257904View attachment 257905View attachment 257906

Hi

I’m new to the forum too but have found it really helpful and a great place to seek advice from really knowledgeable keepers, especially as I feel I’ve so much to learn about my little Russian tortoise!

I love the name Dobby btw, adorable!

The enclosure looks great, I’m not sure about adding worms but what about a hide such as with a half log, plant pot etc? Or a humid hide might be a good idea?

:)

NewHatchlingRussian

Pheonix, Arizona
Hi

I’m new to the forum too but have found it really helpful and a great place to seek advice from really knowledgeable keepers, especially as I feel I’ve so much to learn about my little Russian tortoise!

I love the name Dobby btw, adorable!

The enclosure looks great, I’m not sure about adding worms but what about a hide such as with a half log, plant pot etc? Or a humid hide might be a good idea?

:)
It is hard to see but there is a half log slightly burried into the ground in the second pic. He loves it and goes there every night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have read your post, twice n do not “” get”” your response, to Me. Dog runs, pond, goldfish? Please? Feel free to enlighten me,alright? Thanks!
I'm not sure, and I don't want to put words into his mouth, but I think he's saying species need their own environment - fish = a pond, dog = a backyard and in the house, tortoises = a proper enclosure. Not sure, just sayin'

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
Yes. I agree. All pets “ need” their environments. My only point/thought/advice, was perhaps a tortoise would appreciate? Being Able, to Look outside it’s home. Not just see a wood wall. Have some interaction with it’s kepper, via the ability to Look our. I had a koi pond once. Part of it? Was see thru plexiglass. Where did my fish spend lots of time without! Me, in their view? In front of the lookout area. I’d see them from my upstairs window. I had Rheas back in the 80”s. I had those red, slatted strips in my chain link fence, so the neighbors would not panic, etc. a storm, blew a bunch out. My rheas? Congregated all day, st the area where they could now, SEE out of the kooky compound. I will make My case, till 2065. All animals that are especially, “ kept” by people, should just have even a small area, to see the stuff/action around them. I won’t b quiet about it. Fish? Are kept in glass, preferably. Dogs, outside n window viewing.
Why do I feel like I’m raining on the parade? Who/what? Would Like? To b in a pen/home/situation where they have boring, views of walls, all day. Huh? No one. That’s who. Go in even a dreaded, pet store. The animals, 200%, can SEE out. Even a lil Betta, fish, gets a styrene cup. I’m now realizing that maybe people who keep their torts in a box, are feeling the need to defend their choice of enclosure. That’s all that my lil brain can reckon. I’m NOT trying, to Make u, feel bad. Honestly. I’m only suggesting that in MY experience n views.... that I’d just bet they’d like to See, out! Why is this hard to comprehend? I can not, explain it any clearer.
No being, wants sensory deprivation, do they?
When I was a farrier, I’d wince at the poor horses that had to wear blinders. I get that sometimes? They were needed. But in MY opinion? Those “ times”, sometimes were just by rote.
Some people, just did what others, Told/suggested/advised, TO do. I did a lot of horses at Calder Racetrack. I would quietly listen to the old, loud male trainers argue about using or not using them and Why. I learned a lot. That’s a bad analogy, but I’m trying to make a point that sometimes, the status quo needs to b shook up. New ideas, need to b looked at and tried and or, discounted . But I’ve yet to hear intelligent reasoning, explaining WHY tortoises n turtles, don’t NEED or WANT or Appreciate....the ability to look somewhere, rather than UP. I’m obviously, alone in my views but surely? There’s one other person out there that can See my point? One?
Few animals would choose, to live in a cave.
My chickens, have to over winter in the cement barn n large stall. They don’t like it. There’s a big, thick glass window that does not open. So my husband, built a way up, so they can at least SEE:) the pasture. They also have another even higher roost with NO view. Guess where they all cram to get to? That’s right
The roost with the view!
I’m sure someone will come at me n it saddens me.but I will not, stop arguing my point. I’ve been real nice n calm. I’ve given incidences.
Don’t b angry with me, for just trying to give a pet some visual stimuli.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
With tortoises, if they can see out, they will want out, which is not always safe. They want to explore the areas they can see. When they are inside an enclosure, it will stream them out because they see other areas and think they have to get to it to maybe defend there area. Plan and simple,it stresses them out.

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
Wow. Mmmmkay
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. My tort is gazing out of her tank in another room, as we speak. She NEVER, Ever! “ reacts or asks or moves to, “” come out cause she can SEE. I soak her daily n then I try, to let her out to cruise around some during the day. I have never been bum rushed or visually cajoled, to let her out. She never bumps her glass. What is your basis for such a bit of folklore?
Is there a Study? I don’t know about? Can u fill us in? If so? I require evidence since No reptile I’ve ever owned in over 50 years? Has plied me to “ get out”. Not One. Defending their territory?! Hogwash. Are their minds being probed like on Star Trek? Do we presume? To know their thoughts? I’m continually and sadly, surprised to see senior members, ascribe to that ignorant statement and it’s sketchy content.... made months ago by another member who tried to chide/school Me, about torts not “Liking”? To SEE out.
I’ll await another, 4th grade deducement, along with Any, concrete evidence of torts Liking, to b buried down in a wood box.
Sorry Cheryl. I’m not buying your theory:)
It’s as if some people, read a tort book from 1990, then ascribe wholly to whatever TFH droned on about.
Does NO one else? Keep their torts behind glass? Am I REALLY the Only one?!
Best holiday wishes
The train wreck

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Wow. Mmmmkay
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. My tort is gazing out of her tank in another room, as we speak. She NEVER, Ever! “ reacts or asks or moves to, “” come out cause she can SEE. I soak her daily n then I try, to let her out to cruise around some during the day. I have never been bum rushed or visually cajoled, to let her out. She never bumps her glass. What is your basis for such a bit of folklore?
Is there a Study? I don’t know about? Can u fill us in? If so? I require evidence since No reptile I’ve ever owned in over 50 years? Has plied me to “ get out”. Not One. Defending their territory?! Hogwash. Are their minds being probed like on Star Trek? Do we presume? To know their thoughts? I’m continually and sadly, surprised to see senior members, ascribe to that ignorant statement and it’s sketchy content.... made months ago by another member who tried to chide/school Me, about torts not “Liking”? To SEE out.
I’ll await another, 4th grade deducement, along with Any, concrete evidence of torts Liking, to b buried down in a wood box.
It’s as if some people, read a tort book from 1990, then ascribe wholly to whatever TFH droned on about.
Best holiday wishes
The train wreck
You can believe what you want but I have experienced this along with many others here on the forum. That’s all the proof I need. It did not come from a book or anything else. If you think this is ignorant, then that is your feeling, not others here whom have learned the hard way. I was being nice to you but as I can see, you know it all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow. Mmmmkay
Best holiday wishes
The train wreck
It comes from many years of tortoise keeping. And not just ONE tortoise, but seeing it over and over with many tortoises. If you allow a tortoise to know there's more to the world than what's inside his enclosure he wants out. He'll dig at the corners, climb the wall. Let's just say your tortoise is the exception to the rule.

Let's don't hi-jack NewHatchlingRussian's thread. If you want to debate allowing your tortoise out of his enclosure, start your own thread.

Mel from hell

Adams Center. Ny
No, I certainly have things to learn, too. And I sorry Yvonne. I just answered the link that was forwarded to me. Iwillendeavor to start my own. But since I’m a new to forum kinda girl? Am I not, supposed? To answer Cheryl if she, was part of that link about new enclosures. When I TRY to start my own topic, it always says I Have, to invite another member to read? Or join me? Is this true? Can I just start a new thread, by myself.?? I’m hesitant to put anyone
Because I have deduced that no one, wants! To b invited by Me. How can I get around this? I’m genuinely stumped.thanks