KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm thinking about who else uses these? Let's see...specialized plant growers, medical equipment, suntan products, sunglasses, plant growers, light manufacturers, um, plant growers...

What I call a list isn't popping into my head. Who else uses these?

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
That’s EXACTLY how I got mine, Karen. Another tort/turtle group I belonged to years ago got a group discount if we bought enough of them. Paid 35.00 for mine. Same with the temp gun

Wow, that’s cheap! Good for you. I bought the 6.5r a few months ago and here in Canada it cost around $270.00.

Skip K

Virginia
Krista...270.00? What? Is it gold inlaid or something? I know my meter isn’t the Lamborghini of meters but it has worked faithfully for 16 years

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I know, it’s ridiculous, but from reading what Tom and others have said about it I felt it necessary to get. It’s one of those things where I just had to buy it and not think much about the cost because it is a lot of money. I know in the grand scheme it’s worth it though and in time...a very long time, it’ll pay for itself with not replacing bulbs that are still good. Everything seems to costs so much more in Canada. Believe it or not, that $270 was a deal. lol

Skip K

Virginia
When I saw Kristas post I had to look it up. And hers is the same company that makes mine. I really can’t fathom the massive price. I vaguely remember we needed about 40? people to order the UVB meter and get the group rate. And I assumed... maybe incorrectly..that the meter we got was maybe being phased out...but of course I never checked the normal price. I know my temp gun is still around but has a upgraded look

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
When I saw Kristas post I had to look it up. And hers is the same company that makes mine. I really can’t fathom the massive price. I vaguely remember we needed about 40? people to order the UVB meter and get the group rate. And I assumed... maybe incorrectly..that the meter we got was maybe being phased out...but of course I never checked the normal price. I know my temp gun is still around but has a upgraded look

I know, the price is a little excessive. What you paid for yours is about what the sales tax was on mine. lol. Consider yourself very lucky! My only disappointment (besides the hefty price tag) was that it comes with a dollar store quality flimsy case. For the amount you pay, the case should be a little nicer.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
His enclosure is fry wood and the dimensions are 38inch (L) x 24inch (W). His temperature is always around 80+ and his humidity in his closed chamber is usually around 70-80%, I use coconut coir mixed with Orchard bark. I live in SoCal, around the inland empire valley so it’s usually not lower than 75F, at night it gets usually around the 50’s.
Anyways, I have a sulcata baby tortoise his name is Torta! I recently got him this fry wood enclosure, he has a closed chamber that maintains 80% humidity but from what I’ve noticed he hasn’t been sleeping in there much so I’m wondering if it’s maybe not warm enough at night? As you can see I can’t exactly put a ceramic heat emitting element directly above his closed chamber as there is no opening, so I’m wondering if I should get one and just put it on the open side of his enclosure? I know I should prob set him up with some night time heating element as it’s starting to get a bit chilly at night now, so do you guys have any suggestions/ recommendations for me to improve his enclosure?

Also, let me know if this set up looks good! I wanna make sure I’m doing everything I can do to give him a good environment to grow healthy in. Lastly, should I take him for a health and wellness check up just in general is it worth it? I ask just cause although he seems healthy he eats regularly, and is active I wanna make sure he’s growing healthy and is getting everything he needs. As I’m a new owner, there’s a lot I’m not sure about and want to do my best to give him the best life. So how’s your experiences with health check ups with vets been? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Here’s pictures of his enclosure, the lights I use, and of him (let me know if he looks like a healthy baby)!

View attachment 295133View attachment 295137View attachment 295138View attachment 295139View attachment 295140View attachment 295141
Yes looks great

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, first, Torta is beautiful! Adorable!

I suspect you maybe bought Torta from a pet store, and they told you to buy the equipment that you have. I say this because other than your enclosure, what you have is exactly what pet stores sell for torts.

The thing about pet store advice is that it is all wrong. Most everything you are using is bad for Torta.
1. The basking light is a spot type. Those bulbs can easily burn the top of his carapace.
2. The UVB light should not be that compact style. They give out poor intensity UVB, and have a tendency to burn the eyes of babies. You should be using a fluorescent tube type.
3, Having the UVB light sitting on the screening blocks probably 1/2 of the UV light to the baby. UV also does not go through glass or plexiglass.
4, When speaking of a closed chamber, it means the entire enclosure is closed up. The closed chamber does not sit inside the enclosure, it is the enclosure.
5. The daytime temps: basking spot 95-100, coolest part of cage, never below 80deg.
6. Night temps: at least 80deg everywhere in the enclosure.
7. The water and food dishes can be a hazard for babies because of the straight sides. Torts can't bend at a waist to go up and over an edge like that. They stretch to scale the wall of the dish and fall backward, sometimes into the water dish. Quite a few babies die like this. Since yours look really shallow, push them down into the substrate til the lip of the dish is even with the dirt. Keep an eye on him.
Your substrate is good. You will be pouring water into it and mixing it up to create enough humidity to keep 80% at all times.

Then the entire cage needs to be enclosed.

I'm going to link you to our care sheets for sullies. Read all of them and they will tell you how we do all this from the beginning. Don't panic! We will show you how to make changes to supply Torta with all he needs.

Damn that's good advice...between your advice and the pictures of the baby...makes me want one...anybody in Oregon need a foster home???

Meraa12

Phelan
Hi! Welcome to the forum. You've gotten great advice so far.

About the three bulbs that you linked:
1. You don't need the "heat lamp". Karen explained that one very well. CHE on a thermostat fulfills that role and maintains ambient background warm temperature day and night.
2. That would would have been the correct bulb, except that its an LED "65 watt replacement" bulb. Its not 65 watts, its not incandescent, and it produces almost no heat. CA has made it illegal to sell incandescent bulbs here. You can't even buy them on Amazon and have them shipped in. This is stupid and its a big pain in the arse. I have to buy the bulbs I need to sustain the lives of my pets, have them shipped to a friend out of state, and then the friend has to ship them to me. We have great weather here, but its hard to imagine a scenario where the politicians elected and appointed to run the state could be more stupid or more corrupt. Sorry for the rant.
3. I don't know that brand of UV tube and have never heard of it. That makes me a little leery of it. I wouldn't trust it without putting a meter under it. HOWEVER, worse case scenario is that it doesn't produce the UV your tortoise needs. So what? Your climate is nearly perfect for raising baby sulcatas and giving them access to real sunshine for an hour or two several times a week for most of every year. You don't need indoor UV. You can use that bulb, or just use an LED strip or screw in bulb for some extra ambient lighting. Make a safe outdoor enclosure for your baby, and let the sun work its magic. Just not too much sun for a tiny baby, and make sure there is always lots of shade too. Babies can over heat and die in minutes when forced to stay in full sun with no shade. My general rule is an hour of sun per inch of tortoise per day. Always soak the baby after a sunning session.

All this info and conflicting info can be daunting, but remember, this indoor set up is only for a year or two until your baby is large enough to move outside with a heated night box full time. We will get to all that later.

Start planting grape vines, mulberry trees, and lots of spineless opuntia now. If you want some free starter cactus pads, come take a drive over here to Santa Clarita and I'll give you a whole box of them to plant.

Can I come down and get some of those cactus pads? LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can I come down and get some of those cactus pads? LOL
Yep. Message me when you are ready to get some. They don't grow in winter, so probably better to wait until Feb or March.

Guts

Tennessee
I had that exact wooden tort house, unfortunately it was absolutely impossible to get proper temps or humidity so I tossed it in favor of a grow tent, which works great!