New Owner (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

murple

5 Year Member
Hi I would be gratefull for some sound advice.

I have just become the proud owner of a 4 yr old horsefield. I have just brought her a table as she was in a vivarium and have got her an outdoor run.

On reading up I think she may have some pyramiding. She is 400g at present. Is this the correct weight for her?

Also how often should I feed her, there is so much conflicting advice

I have attached some pictures that might be useful

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help

Jeni

Last edited by a moderator:

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I think she looks pretty good. Looks healthy and is a pretty good size for her age (I think). Glad you got her an outdoor enclosure, they love being outside. I feed my Russian's every other day. When I first got them, I fed them every day and a few of the larger females started getting fat. Once I turned it down to every other day they started looking healthier. There is plenty of grass in their enclosure for them to graze on if they want to (although for whatever reason they rarely do). The days that they get greens from me it is usually some green leaf lettuce, mustard greens or turnip greens. I have tried to feed them Mazuri but they are not interested in it. When I feed them the greens, they go nuts. They are some of the smallest little piggies I have ever seen.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Welcome
In some of the pictures (she) does look a little bumpy nothing serious, but that means she is more than likely a Captive born russian rather than a Wild Caught one.Mine get fed every day plus I have some plants for grazing if they choose to.

murple

5 Year Member
Thanks Guys. She came from a friend who I know would have done everything to care for her well. She had 2 and the other one was giving this one a hard time. Glad the bumping isn't too bad and she seems good to you both.

I have been putting fresh food out daily but she chooses not to eat daily. So far she has had carrot, dandilions and a bit of gabbage. Still not sure which wild flowers and weeds are good so looking into that (mostly how to recognise them!). She seems a little lazy and hides a lot, Temp seems right in her home, but even when outside she looks for cover! Hopefully she is just getting used to her new surroundings.

Thanks again

Jeni

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would cut out the cabbage and keep the carrots to once a month. I feed mine dandelions, hibiscus flower (a favorite) and leaves, radish tops, grape leaves, and lots more.

murple

5 Year Member
Thanks dmmj

I was planning on trying to be mostly wild and not brought produce but unsure what to give her. will try your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.