New owner of 5 yr old russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapatch

5 Year Member
We just got her from a friend she has been living in a 20 gallon tank. I know this is not enough room so we are researching on what we should build. She seems very healthy and friendly. I am very glad we found this site to help answer our questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kapatch:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name and where you are?

Russian tortoises are very rewarding to keep. They get quite people-oriented. When you become more familiar with our format here on the forum, I'd love to see a picture of your new little guy.

kapatch

5 Year Member
My name is Cari and we live in northern Wyoming. I will posts pics soon.

kapatch

5 Year Member
kapatch said:
We just got her from a friend she has been living in a 20 gallon tank. I know this is not enough room so we are researching on what we should build. She seems very healthy and friendly. I am very glad we found this site to help answer our questions.

Sorry the pics are not the best. Is she a Russian? I was told that is what she was but then after looking at others pics she looks alot like an African spurred.

100_4700.jpg

100_4706.jpg

100_4705.jpg

100_4704.jpg

100_4701.jpg

Jentel

5 Year Member
That's not a Russian Tortoise, That's a Centrochelys sulcata. Welcome.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:( Oh no! You have a sulcata, not a Russian. I hope you have lots and lots of room, because he has a lot of growing to do. Very pretty coloring, with just a little pyramiding going on. I almost forgot to say, "WELCOME!"

kapatch

5 Year Member
ahhh. I was up all night worried about this. She is only about 7 inches right now so how old do you think she is? I spent all day yesterday reading about how to take care of a russian. I guess I will be reading again all day today. LOL We have plenty of room for her outside when the weather is nice which is about 2 months out of the year. Since she has been living in a 20 gallon tank could it have stunted her growth?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG! Talk about culture shock!!! Try to find the biggest tub you can or maybe even an old 5-shelf book case with the shelves removed. Line it with a shower curtain and decorate with substrate and pleasing-to-the-eye other objects. This little tortoise needs room to roam. And, no, you didn't stunt its growth. Nothing stops a sulcata from growing! And now that you know all about Russian tortoises, start reading about sulcatas. Pretty soon you're gonna' be so knowledgeable that YOU may be the go to guy!! :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The good news is, their care is pretty close to the same, so your researching should still have paid off (plus I never think any knowledge is a waste). Poor thing at her size in such a small tank.:( Did she get outside at all or even time out of the tank? I think, if they didn't even know what kind she was, they probably failed to do several things correctly all of which may or may not cause her to end up being smaller. Are they sure about her age?

It never stops amazing me how often tortoises are miss ID.

kapatch

5 Year Member
The person that gave her to us had only had her for a few weeks. The tort was giving to her from a friend who had to go away(not real sure what that meant). We ended up with her because she had to many pets and knew that we would give her a great home. I am going to call and see if I can find out anymore info. She may have just been guessing from things she saw on the net. I am very excited to have a giant tort lol. It just means I need to get busy on her new home. Husband and I had planned on making on today but might have to draw up new plans now. Thanks for all the advice!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow you are going to have a very tough time if you live somewhere which gets real winters...these torts get huge and destructive and need to be kept warm all winter (they are too large to keep indoors in winter...think the size of a small barn with a complex heat system). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.