New owner of a Hermann's tortoise

Hyperstream

Location (City and/or State)
HAMILTON
Hi everyone, I recently got a 9 month old Hermann's tort named oogway. I know this would be the best way to get great info about my new addition and also would like suggestions from other members. The enclosure is from my kids train table that I converted and it's about 4x2.5 so lots of room for oogway to grow and my lighting is a mini dual lighting from zoo med and it's got a 75w basking lamp and 10.0uvb mini florescent bulb. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions that I could improve on. ThanksIMG_20200331_164922.jpgIMG_20200331_164943.jpgIMG-20200331-WA0000.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I'm not sure, but I THINK you're using too much calcium powder. All you need is a small pinch between your thumb and index finger two or three times a week.

I don't like those dual dome lights because I like to have a fixture on either end - one for day and one for night. Also, the spiral-shaped bulbs have been known to harm baby tortoise's eyes, so I never use them. I like to use the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb instead. Then for your set up, you could use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat and have it on day and night.

The water bowl you're using is meant for lizards and snakes. Little hard bodied tortoise babies have a difficult time using them because they tend to overbalance trying to climb out and they may tip over backwards into the water. Instead, I use a plant saucer and I sink it down into the substrate.

Please take a look at our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Hyperstream

HAMILTON
Hi, and welcome!

I'm not sure, but I THINK you're using too much calcium powder. All you need is a small pinch between your thumb and index finger two or three times a week.

I don't like those dual dome lights because I like to have a fixture on either end - one for day and one for night. Also, the spiral-shaped bulbs have been known to harm baby tortoise's eyes, so I never use them. I like to use the tube type fluorescent UVB bulb instead. Then for your set up, you could use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat and have it on day and night.

The water bowl you're using is meant for lizards and snakes. Little hard bodied tortoise babies have a difficult time using them because they tend to overbalance trying to climb out and they may tip over backwards into the water. Instead, I use a plant saucer and I sink it down into the substrate.

Please take a look at our care sheet: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/
I have a 48" t8 light fixture from my old aquarium, maybe that would be better for uvb lighting? And I'll definately replace the water bowl. Thanks for the tip