New owner of a horsfield tortoise

HotdogKnight

Location (City and/or State)
Southampton, UK
What did they tell you? I know a lot of people read information on here and go against it because of things they hear elsewhere. Its entirely up to you but on this site people have owned and bred tortoises for their entire lives and are happy to help :)

jo2312

uk
The advice has been great n I'm changing the substance to orchid bark.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum! Your tortoise sure is cute. My very first tortoise (a Russian hatchling) was purchased from a reptile store which gave me all the wrong information. A few days later one of his eyes was not opening all the way and I knew something was wrong with him. I searched the Internet and found the TortoiseForum and learned the correct way to take care of him and he improved within a few days and is now a healthy 6 year old.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
This is exactly why I joined this forum, because everywhere I go or read on the internet says something different. I want advice from people that own the little guys. There is a guy on the internet that claims he is an expert, and swears that sulcata's are desert tortoise and don't need moisture. Everyone one here says they need the humidity. It can get confusing. Just stick to this forum for your answers. The people are very knowledgeable and friendly.

jo2312

uk
I know I have been so confused. The pet shop where I got speedy from said to use aspen as that's what they use but on this forum I have had some good advice and decided to chance to orchid bark. They never mentioned anything about humidity or moisture but then again they didn't really tell me much. Just had to do what I thought was right. So the forum is my advice centre

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I know I have been so confused. The pet shop where I got speedy from said to use aspen as that's what they use but on this forum I have had some good advice and decided to chance to orchid bark. They never mentioned anything about humidity or moisture but then again they didn't really tell me much. Just had to do what I thought was right. So the forum is my advice centre

Then you will have one happy healthy tort!! Welcome!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
We keep learning as we go.

Pet stores never see the results of their care practices. The staff turns over, the stock turns over. They don't have long term experience with individual animals.

I could weep over some of their advice I followed in the past.

jo2312

uk
I was told I didn't need to have a water bowl as the pellet food I'm giving speedy is mixed with water and was advised to bath every other day

Heather H

N.E. ohio
I was told I didn't need to have a water bowl as the pellet food I'm giving speedy is mixed with water and was advised to bath every other day
all tortoises need to have constant access to water. the best water dish is a plain terra cotta sauser that is sunk into the substrate. It needs to be slightly larger than the tortoise.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
are you monitoring the heat and humidity? they need a warm humid environment. please read toms care sheets. it is under the russian section. ask any questions you have. please don't get upset if you were told something at the petstore and we tell you something different.

jo2312

uk
Yes constantly checking them my other half days I'm a little obsessed lol. Just want to make sure speedy has the right environment to thrive

Heather H

N.E. ohio
what are your temps and humidity at? with it being a table sometimes these are hard to keep elevated .

jo2312

uk
My temps r 32 at on end and 25 at the other. Waiting on my humidity clock to arrive tomorrow, what should temps and humidity be ??

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Has anyone tried the automatic misting machine. I saw a pic of an indoor enclosure that had one and it looked really useful. The cheapest one I have seen is about 60.00, but I think it might be worth it. I have to mist the enclosure about 3 times a day.