New owner of a Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haybug528

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am a new owner of a Russian Tortoise. I got him two days ago and I have some concerns...

Ever since I got him, all that he does is sleep. He has been eating for me (Very well actually) until today. I soak him, feed him a variety of greens with calcium sprinkled on top.

He is not very active which is making me worry because I don't want to be a terrible owner. :(

His eyes are also closed but I don't notice any swelling, puss, ect. (I guess he's just a sleepy tort...He does open them but I feel like they're closed more than open..)

He was the most active one out of his group of tortoises when I got him...My gut feeling is that he is getting used to his new home. (Which is a cement mixing tub, coconut fiber mixed with sand as the substrate. I also have a UVB and heat lamp..) If he keeps acting like this for a couple more days, I'm going to take him to the vet.

If anyone has any tips or understands my issue, Please let me know!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Okay you have a UVB light, what kind? How long are you leaving it on? What are the temps your keeping him at? The daytime high end and low end and then at night?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, haybug!

The most usual cause of a tortoise not opening his eyes is that he's not warm enough. Have you taken a temp reading all over the floor of the habitat?

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Welcome I hope you get things sorted out!!! I'm too new to offer advice.

Haybug528

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Okay you have a UVB light, what kind? How long are you leaving it on? What are the temps your keeping him at? The daytime high end and low end and then at night?

I believe I have a 20 watt UVB and heat light. I don't remember what brand. I leave both lights on for 10 hours +. This is going to sound pretty terrible, but I need to purchase a thermometer. The temps do seem warm enough but I should buy a thermometer. I keep him in my room which is a decently small place and his cage is right in front of my heat vent (which I get the best heat in the house).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yes, it's very important to know the temps within the enclosure at the tortoise's level. A temp gun is much better then a thermometer.

Haybug528

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Yes, it's very important to know the temps within the enclosure at the tortoise's level. A temp gun is much better then a thermometer.

Ok I will look into that. Thank you for your feedback!

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
I recently purchased a zoo med thermometer online and it seems to work great. It will let you take a instant reading from any area of the enclosure you want and when its not being used it will keep a constant ambient temp. displayed as well.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That might be the infared thermometer that you point and press the button and you get an instant temp read out. They are great. Definitely try to get an idea of the temps in your enclosure.

Your tort could be too hot, or too cold. And can you post a picture of your box your bulb came in? Even a pic of your enclosure set up?

Make sure you soak the tort in warm water, don't let it cool off. 10-15 minutes is fine. Do that daily for a week, then 2-3x per week.

You only need to sprinkle the calcium on the food a couple of times per week. Some torts don't like it.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Definitely find out the temps, post pics if you can as well. Did you buy a compact or coil type UVB bulb? That may be the problem. It could also be that your tortoise is just getting used to the new enclosure. Where did you get him/her from?

Haybug528

5 Year Member
Spn785 said:
Definitely find out the temps, post pics if you can as well. Did you buy a compact or coil type UVB bulb? That may be the problem. It could also be that your tortoise is just getting used to the new enclosure. Where did you get him/her from?

I know my UVB bulb isn't coiled. I read some where that coiled is bad for their eyes. I got him from a reptile show that happens in pittsburgh monthly.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's good, then.

Post a pic or two of your enclosure and work on finding out about the temps.

It's try he might just be settling in, but you want to be sure!

Haybug528

5 Year Member
image.jpgHere is a picture of the enclosure.. I'll be getting a half log soon

Last edited by a moderator:

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Actually that flower pot should be good for a hide. But the water dish might not be good. I would replace it with a terra cota (spelling) saucer, the kind that goes under a flower pot. Those are easier for the tort to climb in and out of if they want.

JoeImhof

5 Year Member
Generally the enclosure looks good. I wonder if the lights should be tilted like that. I know on the Powersun type MVB bulbs, they are supposed to be facing straight down. Other than that, I like the enclosure. But checking the temps is a must. You want to be around 95F in the basking area

Status
Not open for further replies.