New Owner of Desert Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

nativeaz

5 Year Member
Hi All:

About a week ago, my neighbor found a baby desert tortoise on her driveway. Well, a few days later, I found one in my garage. I had kept the door open because it had gotten so warm outside (I'm in AZ). Yesterday, I told my other neighbor (Jake) what I had found and he said it might be one of his. They just had hatchlings and three had escaped. The third was discovered by someone down the street. He said I could care for him/her because he knows I am an animal lover.

My daughter has named him/her Swaggert because he/she "swaggers" when he walks. Right now, I have Swaggert outside in a 10 gallon terrarium until I can build an enclosure on the side of my home. I've covered the terrarium in a light paper so he can't see out but light comes in.

Of course, he prefers cruising around my yard to the temporary home. I take Swaggert out each morning (and several times during the day) and he walks the entire perimeter of my yard, eating grass and other desert plants. Jake is going to help me build the enclosure next weekend.

Glad I found this forum. Even though I have an expert living a few doors away, it's nice to get some additional info here.

Kimberly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Kimberly :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kimberly:

568573cxuuqbjhqz.gif

to the forum!

Be aware that the sun shining through the sides of a glass aquarium often acts as a magnifier, and you could cook your new baby.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
If you have any pics of your little Swaggert, do not hesiste to post it, we love pics :D

nativeaz

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Kimberly:

568573cxuuqbjhqz.gif

to the forum!

Be aware that the sun shining through the sides of a glass aquarium often acts as a magnifier, and you could cook your new baby.

Yvonne

Thanks for the feedback. Even though I had Swaggert in the shade, it just didn't feel right. I made a temporary enclosure from a gift wrap tub ... put dirt in it and rocks, a small prickly pear cactus and some small AZ grass plants. He has his shelter - a half oval log and his watering dish. He loves it! It will do for now. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome! Sounds like you made him a nice home. Let us know when you have questions, and best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.