New owner of red foot

Newbietortowner

Would anyone be willing to share a photo of a proper set up for a 6month old red foot? Secondly, it was suggested that I get a sterilite tub to keep him in as it holds humidity best. Opinions? I bought the largest surface area tub they had at Walmart. Baby is around the size of a toddler shoes.

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
The basic needs of a 6 months old red foot's habitat are heat and humidity. Make sure you can maintain the entire setup at around 82 degrees. If you wish, you can provide a heat gradient; 78 on one side of the habitat, 84 on the other side, but this isn't really necessary. A basking spot of around 90-95 degrees is appreciated, especially if a big fluffy pile of spaghnum moss is left under it.
Sterilite/rubbermaid containers CAN work, assuming they are big enough. I would recommend something around 4x2 feet for a 6 month old, depending on its size. Whatever you get, ensure that you can cover it to maintain the proper temps. Also, you must cover it to maintain humidity. A healthy red foot needs humidity in the 80%+ range. The higher you can get it the better. Do not allow them to dry out.
They will appreciate a large water bowl with slanting sides that they can wade in. However, ensure that it isn't so deep that they could drown if they became flipped over in it.
Also, ensure you have UVB lights on the enclosure.

If you can't find a good enclosure, building one is straightforward enough. All you really need is 4 walls, tall enough to accommodate heat lamps, say 12-18", and water-proofing. It could be as simple as a couple 2"x12" boards from home depot screwed together, and a piece of pond liner lining the inside. Then of course you need to find a way to cover it, to keep humidity in. There are some good threads on the forum of building enclosures for young red foots.

For furnishing, make a couple hides, one near the heat lamp, one far away from it. Plants (verify they are safe by using the Tortoise Table website http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp) will also be appreciated, to naturalize the enclosure and allow the tortoise some cover to make them feel more safe.
Hides can be something as simple as a plant pot dug into the substrate on an angle.

For substrate, I highly prefer spaghnum moss for young ones, and cypress mulch for the older ones. Both hold humidity great. The spaghnum is great for smaller ones, as the young always like to burrow, and the spaghnum allows them to do this.

Hopefully that helps a little bit. Unfortunately I don't have any photos really.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I have a photo but mine's not quite 6 months old yet. I use coco chips and sheet moss - he burrows under both. Mine is a temporary setup until I can build a much larger one, but it's my general idea of what works for me. Honestly, I want more plants and will get some in the future. :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404013320.249217.jpg
These are some I've done during my quest to finding what I like best:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404013596.820924.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404013626.173401.jpg
These are kinda inspiration for when I am able to build my own:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404013372.051937.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404013399.004245.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404013454.258654.jpg
I like different ideas from each. :)

Newbietortowner

The tub I got is roughly 3'x2'x18". I'd say the tortoise is between the size of a golf ball and a baseball.
80% so would I need to cover the bottom with mostly moss to achieve the humidity or should I buy a fogger? planning to cut out a 10x10 and place a zoomed 12x12 lid to support the heat lamp and UVB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 21

Newbietortowner

I see a lot of glass terrariums , is that the direction I should be going over the tub? I got the tub because I understood the glass terrariums don't maintain the humidity?

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Glass holds humidity perfectly fine you just have to make sure to cover the screen tops those types of enclosures usually come with.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Tubs are usually just more convenient as far as price for the space.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I had a glass aquarium on hand so that's why I used it - but I do keep the top covered with foil. A lot of people use tubs just fine. :) and the humidity stays up well in the glass - don't have any issues as long as I keep it covered. Some torts don't like the see through glass so you can tape stuff to the outside all around if you need.... I've not had troubles with mine being aggravated and wanting out, so I don't worry about it.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
The tub I got is roughly 3'x2'x18". I'd say the tortoise is between the size of a golf ball and a baseball.
80% so would I need to cover the bottom with mostly moss to achieve the humidity or should I buy a fogger? planning to cut out a 10x10 and place a zoomed 12x12 lid to support the heat lamp and UVB
I don't have a fogger and I can keep my humidity up fine. I spray the moss daily to keep it alive, but dump water in the coco chips when he humidity starts to drop more than I like.

Newbietortowner

How does this look so far? I know I still need to get a second hide and plants. I bought a basking bulb that is supposed to have UVA and UVB. I'd like to do a level with a ramp on the basking side eventually :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23