New owner of rescue tort <3

alisonhendo

Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Oregon
Hi everyone!

My husband and I recently adopted a young(?) tortoise, and we are scrambling to learn all that we can. This little buddy was left behind in a trashed and abandoned apartment in a building that our friend manages. The humane society was reluctant to take him, so our friend asked us if we'd be interested, and we jumped at the opportunity. The enclosure was unusable, so we're starting completely fresh. Our hope is to provide a loving and healthy forever home for this sweet guy (or gal). But we have lots to learn.

Yahya's shell is about 12 cm long, and the plastron is almost perfectly flat (not obviously concave or convex). We think they're either Russian or Greek, but I'm having a hard time distinguishing one way or the other.

I gave Yahya their first bath yesterday, which was long overdue, and revealed some nice striations on their scutes.

The search function on this forum has been extremely helpful, so I don't have any specific questions at the moment. I just wanted to say hi, and that I'm so grateful to have found this community!

Alison

Some pics from today's supervised exploring time: IMG_5037.jpg IMG_5030.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone!

My husband and I recently adopted a young(?) tortoise, and we are scrambling to learn all that we can. This little buddy was left behind in a trashed and abandoned apartment in a building that our friend manages. The humane society was reluctant to take him, so our friend asked us if we'd be interested, and we jumped at the opportunity. The enclosure was unusable, so we're starting completely fresh. Our hope is to provide a loving and healthy forever home for this sweet guy (or gal). But we have lots to learn.

Yahya's shell is about 12 cm long, and the plastron is almost perfectly flat (not obviously concave or convex). We think they're either Russian or Greek, but I'm having a hard time distinguishing one way or the other.

I gave Yahya their first bath yesterday, which was long overdue, and revealed some nice striations on their scutes.

The search function on this forum has been extremely helpful, so I don't have any specific questions at the moment. I just wanted to say hi, and that I'm so grateful to have found this community!

Alison

Some pics from today's supervised exploring time: View attachment 346775 View attachment 346776
Hello and welcome! Most of the care info you find online and from pet stores and most other sources will be all wrong. Here is the correct care info:

Your questions are welcome!