New Owner of Rescue - Tortoise Biting Himself

shaytraverse

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi there! I’m new to the tortoise world and I need some help, since no other post has been exactly similar to my own. Let me start with some background (and as a quick foreword - I’m new to this, and I want my tort to be as happy as possible. I’m adjusting to having him and with the little knowledge I have of his species, age, etc. any info on how to care for him better would be so appreciated! please no judgment :) ).

So a few months back, my boyfriend found this little guy walking down the sidewalk in our town. Just strolling! No one in the area claimed him so he took him in. He had already had a tank with a basking light, a log for hiding, and some gravel sort of stuff as he had a desert lizard in there already. The lizard remained buried so the two lived together happily for a long while! Soon though, it was time for my bf to go off to Basic Military Training, so Larry the tort was now in my hands! I’ve had him here for a few months, and he’s been very happy! We feed him strawberries, romaine, and loads of other yummy food that he enjoys based off of the advice we’ve received from here. But recently, he has starting acting differently. I noticed he was bleeding two days ago and he seems to have taken to biting himself in his left front leg, enough to draw blood and take off skin (the wound is mostly visible in the first pic attached). He left it alone yesterday, but today I noticed he was nipping at the wound again. Ive been cleaning it with diluted peroxide and changing his soaking water (bath) frequently. So, with all of that said, here are my basic questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea of what type of tortoise he may be? That info would allow me to go and buy all the right food, substrate, etc. that would make him as happy and comfortable as can be.

2. anyone else have problems with nipping? I let him roam around in the grass outside while I watched him, and it seemed to relax him but he’s taken to biting himself again ever since we came back inside. Maybe it irritated the wound? I’ve cleaned it since then.

3. And if the type is known, what substrate/diet/handy tips would anyone recommend? any help with this is SO appreciated. I’m learning and will do anything in my power to make him happy. :))

Thank you!

Shay and Larry the Tort

E7A65D64-D13B-436C-BBCF-3DE14B34CBB0.jpeg 27A67F6B-899A-493B-ABD9-D322505C1A17.jpeg

shaytraverse

CA
So since discovering that he’s actually a turtle/giving him all the right substrate/plants/etc., he seems to have calmed down a bit. He’s enjoying his new home much more, so he maybe was just stressed out before? I’m keeping an eye on the biting and he hasn’t touched it since. Thank you everyone and I’ll make sure to take him to a local vet just to make sure!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
So since discovering that he’s actually a turtle/giving him all the right substrate/plants/etc., he seems to have calmed down a bit. He’s enjoying his new home much more, so he maybe was just stressed out before? I’m keeping an eye on the biting and he hasn’t touched it since. Thank you everyone and I’ll make sure to take him to a local vet just to make sure!
Also in the meantime...possibly just a warm soak...and then a tiny bit of extra virgin oil. I do know that oils kill mites.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Is he still living in a tank with a lizard? I think you said he isn’t anymore but I just wanted to be sure.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi there! I’m new to the tortoise world and I need some help, since no other post has been exactly similar to my own. Let me start with some background (and as a quick foreword - I’m new to this, and I want my tort to be as happy as possible. I’m adjusting to having him and with the little knowledge I have of his species, age, etc. any info on how to care for him better would be so appreciated! please no judgment :) ).

So a few months back, my boyfriend found this little guy walking down the sidewalk in our town. Just strolling! No one in the area claimed him so he took him in. He had already had a tank with a basking light, a log for hiding, and some gravel sort of stuff as he had a desert lizard in there already. The lizard remained buried so the two lived together happily for a long while! Soon though, it was time for my bf to go off to Basic Military Training, so Larry the tort was now in my hands! I’ve had him here for a few months, and he’s been very happy! We feed him strawberries, romaine, and loads of other yummy food that he enjoys based off of the advice we’ve received from here. But recently, he has starting acting differently. I noticed he was bleeding two days ago and he seems to have taken to biting himself in his left front leg, enough to draw blood and take off skin (the wound is mostly visible in the first pic attached). He left it alone yesterday, but today I noticed he was nipping at the wound again. Ive been cleaning it with diluted peroxide and changing his soaking water (bath) frequently. So, with all of that said, here are my basic questions:

1. Does anyone have an idea of what type of tortoise he may be? That info would allow me to go and buy all the right food, substrate, etc. that would make him as happy and comfortable as can be.

2. anyone else have problems with nipping? I let him roam around in the grass outside while I watched him, and it seemed to relax him but he’s taken to biting himself again ever since we came back inside. Maybe it irritated the wound? I’ve cleaned it since then.

3. And if the type is known, what substrate/diet/handy tips would anyone recommend? any help with this is SO appreciated. I’m learning and will do anything in my power to make him happy. :))

Thank you!

Shay and Larry the Tort

View attachment 263079 View attachment 263080

They also eat meat protein....worms, bugs...also they will eat meat, plain cooked chicken....