New Owner of Russian Girl

gigioncc

Hi,
My husband and I recently adopted a female Russian Tortoise. Her name is Sochi. I'm not sure how old she is but she is 7 inches long. We were told by the previous owner that she ate grapes and romaine. I have been doing some research and found that Russians shouldn't eat grapes so we'll be taking them out of her diet. We will also be adding some healthier greens. I do have concerns about her environment and demeanor. She seems very shy and wants to bury herself most of the time. I gave her a soak today for about 30min in warm water and it seemed to liven her up a bit. She moved around a lot more afterwards but she has not eaten anything since we got her yesterday morning. I gave her some grasslands mixed with chopped romaine. She came in a 20 gal aquarium and as soon as we can afford it we are going to put her in a bigger space. She also came in cypress mulch. Should I keep her in mulch?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Bridget

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). It may take a while for her to get used too the new and improved diet. You may want too chop up all the better stuff and mix it with chopped up not so good stuff until you get her eating. Then, slowly add more good too less bad until she is eating only good. Spritz in it with water will help it all stick together, so she has to eat the good to get the bad. Some use cypress mulch, I like coconut coir and even plain dirt.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
She moved around a lot more afterwards but she has not eaten anything since we got her yesterday morning.

Not unusual for a tort to go awhile without eating...it can take a couple weeks to a month for a tort to begin to offer up a healthy appetite...so not to worry at this point...if you have the basics met, then be patient :D

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I've had some on hunger strike and others that ate in the box on the ride home. It varies and is not anything you should worry about. As for getting a better enclosure, as long as you get her out and about a few times a week you have some time. Russians thrive outside. They are explorers and need large areas to explore. When you get some warm weather, take her out to the lawn and you will be amazed at the change in how she acts, heck, you can put her on the floor in your house and you will be amazed at how much she explores and wanders around. Be carful though, they can go a lot further in a shorter amount of time than you would think and they can and will find the last place you would think to look and hide in it. I found one of my boys in the second level of my wooden wine rack!

Mcnamartin

St. Paul MN
Hi,
We are new also. I'm adopting a Russian for my daughter's 21st birthday. Just getting set up with all the stuff. Lots to learn! I'm glad I found this site.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Bridget, and welcome to the Forum!

ONce you get your new tortoise set up in a larger habitat with the correct lighting and she gets used to living there, she will eat with no problem. It would be even better if you could think of setting her up in a safe outside habitat during good weather.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif