New owner of Russian tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortx2

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1371647177.101780.jpg

Hi. I'm a new russian tortoise owner. I adopted two from an friend who was getting rid of them. They don't have names yet. She never named them:(. I'm looking forward to getting them settled in and set up right. Any lighting information would be appreciated especially.

I look forward to learning more about my new babies. I know they are at least 7 years old and I think a male and a female.

Last edited by a moderator:

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Welcome! You're gonna love your new tortoise companions, however, if I'm not mistaken, they look like they are Hermann's tortoises rather than Russians

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Falcon70 said:
Welcome! You're gonna love your new tortoise companions, however, if I'm not mistaken, they look like they are Hermann's tortoises rather than Russians

That's right. Tortx2, you are now the proud owner of two new Hermann's tortoises (Testudo hermanni), not Russians (T. horsfieldii). If I am not mistaken, those belong to the eastern subspecies (T. hermanni boettgeri). Hermanns and Russians are sister species, but whereas Russians come from dry grasslands and deserts, Hermanns come from shrub- and woodlands, which are a bit more humid.

Tortx2

5 Year Member
See already I'm learning new things:) how do you tell the difference between the subspecies? Is there any major care differences I should be aware of? Thanks for all the responses.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here are some things you need to know, just to get you started:
1. Send a PM to GBTortoises and ask for help identifying exactly what you have. From the little pics, I can't tell if you have hermanns or greeks. Either way they are similar in their requirements.
2. If they are housed outdoors, they need lots of shade as well as some open sunny areas for basking.
3. I'd soak them a few times a week at first to make sure they are hydrated as they adjust to their new surrounding and learn where the water bowl is.
4. Where are you? Your climate makes a big difference in the advice you get.
5. Indoors they need a basking spot of about 100 degrees under a heat lamp. The rest of the enclosure can just be room temp and you won't need any night heat for either species.
6. Neither of these species get along in pairs very well or for very long. You need to confirm your sexes and either add some females, or just separate these two, BEFORE there is a problem.
7. Their diet should primarily be broadleaf weeds from a safe, chemical free source. Leafy greens from the store are okay too, as are grape leaves, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves and a whole bunch of others.

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortx2 said:
See already I'm learning new things:) how do you tell the difference between the subspecies? Is there any major care differences I should be aware of? Thanks for all the responses.

I always look for the color patterning of the shell, but technically you're supposed to look for scute patterning on the plastron (belly). As for care, basically the farther east you go, the more cold-tolerant and moisture-loving they get.

Tortx2

5 Year Member
Here's a closer view of one. ImageUploadedByTortForum1371654397.050222.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.