New owner of yellow foot tortoise

Lindseyc123

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
You do have to be concerned if you have racoons, skunks, birds, & other varmits that come into your yard or can swoop down to grab your tort. Do you have trees & bushes....places where your tort can hide or get shade?
Yes so there’s a bush that he really like to hide behind. During the day there’s not any critters other than some small birds. But I think for now we will bring him inside at night.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi, so long story short we were gifted a 2 yr old yellow foot- from a shelter. we are new to having a tortoise. We live in So California near the coast, so the summers are warm and sunny, but at night the temp can get chilly. Can a yellow be kept outside at night? Or do they need to be indoors to sleep?
what do you do if you are gone for the day, and don’t return until the evening and are unable to move your tortoise inside until late at night?
We are just trying to figure out all the logistics- we need tips for how to do daily life with tortoise ownership. Any practical tip appreciated as this is all new to us.
thank you!
Welcome congrats on your new buddy. What I do is I have an outdoor and an indoor enclosure. I bring mine in at nighttime and for the winter. If I know I'm not going to be home until late I just don't put him out that day. If you do keep him outside you will need a heated night box for cool nights. These guys do best with higher humidity. You also might want to consider some sort of timed sprinkler system for your outdoor enclosure.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My outdoor Redfoot pens have heated night houses each with a single 60 watt CHE hanging from a PVC pipe on a timer20210112_185944.jpg20210116_140511.jpg
It's not that they can't survive cooler nights. (Below say 60) It's just that if you can avoid it, you should.
It helps them remain health and their systems moving smoothly.

willee638

HK
Hi, so long story short we were gifted a 2 yr old yellow foot- from a shelter. we are new to having a tortoise. We live in So California near the coast, so the summers are warm and sunny, but at night the temp can get chilly. Can a yellow be kept outside at night? Or do they need to be indoors to sleep?
what do you do if you are gone for the day, and don’t return until the evening and are unable to move your tortoise inside until late at night?
We are just trying to figure out all the logistics- we need tips for how to do daily life with tortoise ownership. Any practical tip appreciated as this is all new to us.
thank you!
Yellow foot tortoises isn't available in the areas where I reside in, but cherry heads & red foots are very common. We also have milder winters of temperatures averaging 8-16 degrees celsius, but even this isn't suitable to keep them outdoors. I have taken my red foots for hour long walks in outdoor fields with full sunlight around 17-20 degrees celsius but never without sunlight or longer periods in the winter season, 25 degrees or warmer is probably acceptable.