New owner overall care opinion needed

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Hi there. I'd like to ask: aren't fake plants somewhat "dangeroous" in a tort's enclosure? Couldn't the tort take them for food and start munching them, even if they smell, see etc? I haven't had the courage to put any in my tort's enclosure so as to remain on the safe side.
Well, I have had the worst time with live plants, so now fake plants are my new nest friend, and he doesn't care about them. One. Single Bit. Which make me super angry because it was like he SOUGHT out the live -plants to kill and destroy! He didn't even eat the things, just crushed them to death...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You look like you're doing an AMAZING job! His habitat look fabulous... the coir looks a little dry though. Try pouring some water down in there to keep it moist.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well, I have had the worst time with live plants, so now fake plants are my new nest friend, and he doesn't care about them. One. Single Bit. Which make me super angry because it was like he SOUGHT out the live -plants to kill and destroy! He didn't even eat the things, just crushed them to death...
GOD....your dear pet seems to be naughty maybe naughtier than mine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
:D:p:D I think he deserves a life sentence... of living with fake plants.
Have any of your torts purposely killed any plants?

Oh yes. I don't even try. Plants in their outdoor enclosures must be surrounded with blocks, or be out of reach somehow. I don't even bother indoors. They simply trample whatever they don't eat, as yours do.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
To add to Toms post, I won't waste plants in indoor enclosures any longer either. I've reached the conclusion that when the needs of the tortoise have been met, the rest is just for us. And the same with my outdoor pens. Old tires filled with top soil then planted in goes far to keep them from eating things to the ground. Again though, depending on the size of your tortoise, you may need more than 1tire to keep them from climbing and munching.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
To add to Toms post, I won't waste plants in indoor enclosures any longer either. I've reached the conclusion that when the needs of the tortoise have been met, the rest is just for us. And the same with my outdoor pens. Old tires filled with top soil then planted in goes far to keep them from eating things to the ground. Again though, depending on the size of your tortoise, you may need more than 1tire to keep them from climbing and munching.
Well, I'm pretty satisfied with fake plants. They look nice, and the best art is that they are UN-KILLABLE! :D;)
Maybe I should give him a little baby tree? I bet he couldn't kill that :p

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Oh yes. I don't even try. Plants in their outdoor enclosures must be surrounded with blocks, or be out of reach somehow. I don't even bother indoors. They simply trample whatever they don't eat, as yours do.
Haha! Thinking of that make me picture a horses yard, some people build little fences around bushes and trees :p At some point (already passed it) I wouldn't even bother :D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Or use Real plants in my Russian tortoise indoor enclosure but I put them in the heavy pots.and I rotate them out to put them in a sunny window if they get to beat up or munched on. My tortoise kept nibbling on one of the fake plants I had and it made me nervous so I got rid of them. To make the substrate a little more moist pour water into it and then stir it around really well to mix the water evenly. You could build a little lookout if your tortoise likes to be a pie and see what's going on, just make sure that it is not too close to a lamp so if they were to end up on their back they wouldn't be stuck under a hot lamp.my tortoise likes to get up and looked around once in a while too.my tortoise has never paid any attention to the plant saucer either indoors but I have seen her in her outdoor one a couple times. I do not have an indoor water dish, oh boy here, comments :), but I soak my tortoise every other day and sprayed down her food with water. I know that is not recommended but it works for me. your enclosure looks great and you have a very pretty tortoise. You're doing a great great job.and those seed mixes really grow easily.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Or use Real plants in my Russian tortoise indoor enclosure but I put them in the heavy pots.and I rotate them out to put them in a sunny window if they get to beat up or munched on. My tortoise kept nibbling on one of the fake plants I had and it made me nervous so I got rid of them. To make the substrate a little more moist pour water into it and then stir it around really well to mix the water evenly. You could build a little lookout if your tortoise likes to be a pie and see what's going on, just make sure that it is not too close to a lamp so if they were to end up on their back they wouldn't be stuck under a hot lamp.my tortoise likes to get up and looked around once in a while too.my tortoise has never paid any attention to the plant saucer either indoors but I have seen her in her outdoor one a couple times. I do not have an indoor water dish, oh boy here, comments :), but I soak my tortoise every other day and sprayed down her food with water. I know that is not recommended but it works for me. your enclosure looks great and you have a very pretty tortoise. You're doing a great great job.and those seed mixes really grow easily.
I do have grasses and things outdoors, and he'll eat those, but not the ones inside! And he doesn't kill them either.:mad:
I soak my russian every other day! He doesn't like to eat wet food, though.