New owner - separate Hermanns and Russian or not..help!

PebblesCoco

Location (City and/or State)
Lincolnshire
Hi. I recently adopted 2 tortoises - a female Hermann's and a male Horsefield. They are approximately 5 years old and have been housed together all their lives. I am planning on extending and improving their enclosure. But my query is whether I should create separate enclosures for them. I am aware that tortoises shouldn't really be housed together but will it affect them if they are separated now, having been together for 5 years? I'm happy to house them separately if this would be best for them. Any advice greatly received! Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I recently adopted 2 tortoises - a female Hermann's and a male Horsefield. They are approximately 5 years old and have been housed together all their lives. I am planning on extending and improving their enclosure. But my query is whether I should create separate enclosures for them. I am aware that tortoises shouldn't really be housed together but will it affect them if they are separated now, having been together for 5 years? I'm happy to house them separately if this would be best for them. Any advice greatly received! Thanks!
Agreed. Separate them. 100%. Species should NEVER be mixed and tortoises should NEVER be kept in pairs. Its just luck that they've both survived up until now. They will not miss each other.

Anytime you move a tortoise or change their enclosure, there will be an adjustment time period. Don't mistake that for them "missing' each other.

Here is the current and correct care info to help you with building the new enclosures:

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Even if they’ve been housed together for years, it doesn’t mean it’s ok unfortunately. To the untrained eye, you could be missing signs of stress or bullying.

Also, like Tom said, pairs are a recipe for disaster. They don’t need friends. They will thrive more without the competition for space and food.???

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi! I think you probably get the general idea. But just in case it's not quite clear...keep them separated!!!?

Reactions: Ink