New Owner Show-and-Tell!

Michelle D

I am coming to realize that life is good when you're a TFO tortoise....

I have a feeling Millie thinks so, too...
That's so funny I was thinking the same thing as Spike took her warm soak today! She's even resting her head on the side! :)
image.jpg

And here she is "smiling" at the end! Feeling pretty good!! :)
image.jpg
How is ms. Millie's To Do list coming? Were you able to hang the light? Did you ever find out if Home Depot will help with cutting the plywood? Hope all is going swimmingly! :)

Last edited:

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
That's so funny I was thinking the same thing as Spike took her warm soak today! She's even resting her head on the side! :)
View attachment 152903

View attachment 152904
How is ms. Millie's To Do list coming? Were you able to hang the light? Did you ever find out is Home Depot will help with cutting the plywood? Hope all is going swimmingly! :)

SPIKE YOU ARE SO CUTE!! hahahaha she's like ahhhhh pillow! It's like a tortoise health spa around here, and we are the employees!

My To Do list got derailed by the wrong light fixture! Well, it's the right light fixture but it has to be mounted facing down, which I hadn't planned for in all of this brilliant enclosure designing I've been doing...hahaha. I'd originally thought to attach it sideways to the tub. I "reclaimed" some wood (it still counts as reclaimed if you thief it from the basement of your building, right?!) and am going to try my hand at fashioning some sort of overhead hanging...thing.

I am making real carpenters cry, I can feel it.

I decided if I can make that work, then of course I will be ready to tackle a full enclosure build. Right? Right! I haven't called Home Depot yet, but I have started planning out my design. That rock wall that @Rutibegga did in theirs is soooo freaking cool. I should probably just try to stick with a plain box since I have no idea what I'm doing but !!!! hahahaha I want cool rock walls!!

Millie is a Russian, yes :) I am not 100% sure if they darken as they get older, but I think I've read a couple places that they do. I am still trying to learn the different kinds, too!

How is your enclosure planning coming? Are you drawing it out? We should post our pre-build idea pictures here!!

:<3::<3:

Michelle D

SPIKE YOU ARE SO CUTE!! hahahaha she's like ahhhhh pillow! It's like a tortoise health spa around here, and we are the employees!

My To Do list got derailed by the wrong light fixture! Well, it's the right light fixture but it has to be mounted facing down, which I hadn't planned for in all of this brilliant enclosure designing I've been doing...hahaha. I'd originally thought to attach it sideways to the tub. I "reclaimed" some wood (it still counts as reclaimed if you thief it from the basement of your building, right?!) and am going to try my hand at fashioning some sort of overhead hanging...thing.

I am making real carpenters cry, I can feel it.

I decided if I can make that work, then of course I will be ready to tackle a full enclosure build. Right? Right! I haven't called Home Depot yet, but I have started planning out my design. That rock wall that @Rutibegga did in theirs is soooo freaking cool. I should probably just try to stick with a plain box since I have no idea what I'm doing but !!!! hahahaha I want cool rock walls!!

Millie is a Russian, yes :) I am not 100% sure if they darken as they get older, but I think I've read a couple places that they do. I am still trying to learn the different kinds, too!

How is your enclosure planning coming? Are you drawing it out? We should post our pre-build idea pictures here!!

Lol! Life of a new tort owner! :) I have seen some people mount a light from wood overhead attached by a mug/cup hook. I don't know if your light is the same kind or not..
We measured today and had a table put in place to "envision" the final placement. :) we aren't sophisticated enough to actually draw plans. I think we are going with a 7' x 3' table (kinda odd measurement, I know). I liked the design of @Rutibegga as well so we are going to try for that feel. I loved the rock wall a lot, but may have to wait till later to add fun stuff. I just really feel it necessary to get her in a bigger enclosure, pronto! :) Spike loves to walk! Her big news today was eating her first live worm! She hasn't been sure she wanted to eat moving things before. But once she started she wanted MORE! ( I was glad, I didn't want to have to chop it up in her food!) I'm such a new mom and took video of it!

Yes we will definitely have to keep each other updated!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Lol! Life of a new tort owner! :) I have seen some people mount a light from wood overhead attached by a mug/cup hook. I don't know if your light is the same kind or not..
We measured today and had a table put in place to "envision" the final placement. :) we aren't sophisticated enough to actually draw plans. I think we are going with a 7' x 3' table (kinda odd measurement, I know). I liked the design of @Rutibegga as well so we are going to try for that feel. I loved the rock wall a lot, but may have to wait till later to add fun stuff. I just really feel it necessary to get her in a bigger enclosure, pronto! :) Spike loves to walk! Her big news today was eating her first live worm! She hasn't been sure she wanted to eat moving things before. But once she started she wanted MORE! ( I was glad, I didn't want to have to chop it up in her food!) I'm such a new mom and took video of it!

Yes we will definitely have to keep each other updated!

I want to see the video!! I think there is a way to upload them here, but I haven't tried. I just had this conversation with my partner because we saw @Alaskamike 's video of his little bubbles eating a worm, and I confirmed with her 3 times during it that if we got a RF, she'd feed it the worms LOL. I don't think I could chop it up, either! Did she go after it once she got the hang of it? I wonder if they kind of hunt them in the wild, or if it's just an opportunistic thing? That would be interesting to see!

You are probably right about the rock wall, haha, as much as I want to do it sooo much it's probably a better thing to do after we get the hang of building these tortoise-mansions!

I asked in another thread about a RF caresheet because I wasn't able to locate one, and received a couple of replies for a link and a book, I'll post that thread here in case you were interested :)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/help-finding-rf-care-sheet.130125/#post-1220265

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Millie and Spike are so cute! I am seriously smitten by all these little dinosaurs!

Me too, this is an addiction that could require weekly meetings LOL

I read in another thread of yours that your little man is king of his castle now! I bet his ex-roommates new parents are so excited!! Are they going to come join the forums? They should!! Let's spread this addiction around!! haha!

ALSO I love the new name! How did you guys come up with that? Sounds like a story behind it :D

Michelle D

I want to see the video!! I think there is a way to upload them here, but I haven't tried. I just had this conversation with my partner because we saw @Alaskamike 's video of his little bubbles eating a worm, and I confirmed with her 3 times during it that if we got a RF, she'd feed it the worms LOL. I don't think I could chop it up, either! Did she go after it once she got the hang of it? I wonder if they kind of hunt them in the wild, or if it's just an opportunistic thing? That would be interesting to see!

You are probably right about the rock wall, haha, as much as I want to do it sooo much it's probably a better thing to do after we get the hang of building these tortoise-mansions!

I asked in another thread about a RF caresheet because I wasn't able to locate one, and received a couple of replies for a link and a book, I'll post that thread here in case you were interested :)

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/help-finding-rf-care-sheet.130125/#post-1220265
I'll see if I can figure out how to upload a video tomorrow. It took me a little while to figure out how to do pics...so we'll see :) it's so funny what you'll do as a pet parent I've handled crickets for frogs even! I didn't ever think I could be so proud to watch a pet eat a worm before! Haha. :)

That was so thoughtful of you to give me those links! Thanks! I was wondering why there wasn't a caresheet pinned for RF. I had been linked to the tortoiselibrary though. And I will definitely have to get that book!!

aundreagwen

I did tell my friend about the forum! I hope she joins. She is so happy with him and has sent me some pictures already. It's been a great night sending him off to his new home and I got some pictures of my last foster puppy in her new home.

We named him after Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights the Will Ferell movie. I like the irony because Ricky Bobby wants to go fast, and he's a tortoise so he can't lol!

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I'll see if I can figure out how to upload a video tomorrow. It took me a little while to figure out how to do pics...so we'll see :) it's so funny what you'll do as a pet parent I've handled crickets for frogs even! I didn't ever think I could be so proud to watch a pet eat a worm before! Haha. :)

That was so thoughtful of you to give me those links! Thanks! I was wondering why there wasn't a caresheet pinned for RF. I had been linked to the tortoiselibrary though. And I will definitely have to get that book!!

I would love to figure out the videos! The world needs to see Spike eating a worm and Millie being a princess!

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Soaking and sulking. Trogdor hates his soaks and spends a good amount of time trying to escape. His soak is over when I see him go really still, then poop. (Once he's pooped in the water, he will fly into total panic if I don't immediately remove him... I don't blame him.)

Attachments

• 1445191354043.jpg
    1445191354043.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 1445191371700.jpg
    1445191371700.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 49

Turtle001

Hello to you and hello to Herbert!! So glad you posted....and what a cute baby!! I see tortoise tongue!! Man, I wish I could get as excited as these guys about salad!

I hope you'll come back and show us more of your cutie!! And congratulations :) Isn't this so exciting?!?!

Yes it is so exciting!! im currently in the process of building him a larger enclosure! Thanks for the great comment he does love his lettuce! :) and I'd love to be posting more photos soon!:):tort:

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
View attachment 152903

View attachment 152904
How is ms. Millie's To Do list coming? Were you able to hang the light? Did you ever find out if Home Depot will help with cutting the plywood? Hope all is going swimmingly! :)
Your photography is much better than average. (The cute subject helps) Do you have have expensive equipment or just a good eye for photography?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445437038.407912.jpg
Here is my baby soaking.