New Owner Show-and-Tell!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have been baking the dry sphagnum moss I buy from Home Depot in an effort to kill off any creepy crawlies before I soak it. I did it for 30ish minutes at 200F. I still have these weird little gnats that popped up, though, so I might need to bake the substrate, too. @Grandpa Turtle 144 said it was stinky to do, though hahaha, so I was trying to avoid it!!

Testudo Mix is here:

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

Millie loooooves it. It started sprouting within 48 hours and by the end of the week the plants in my tray were taller than her! @ZEROPILOT told me that it had things like carrots and radishes in it I think, but the way she's going through it I'll probably never get to find out LOL.

It's also what @Rutibegga had in their amazing enclosure! I am going to seed my substrate, too...sooo excited for that! I bought a new light to try and encourage plant growth on the non-basking end, but now I have to figure out how to mount it :confused:
What I said is baking soil stinks !

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the link! I'll definitely will check it out!! I don't know if you have seen this yet in another thread, but a guy named alaskamike details nicely an idea for enclosure and option if you're not a builder, so check it out. It's actually in a thread about a rescue tort, real sweet story! I hope I can give the link correctly... Let's see... http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bubbles-galore.125234/ if that didn't work I can try again... It's called bubbles galore. It's at the end of the thread.

Thank you for posting that thread!! I read the whole way through and saw @Alaskamike in his videos which was great :D Poor Bubbles! Her video swimming in the pool made me so happy, though!

(I am actually going to poke the referenced thread toward @SamAnn ( http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bubbles-galore.125234/ ). She has a rescued and badly neglected Sulcata that isn't toooo big yet, and might be interested in his water therapy videos. And if not, it's a heartening rescue story :<3: I've been following her updates - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bowsers-rescue-update.129470/#post-1212828 . Such a sweet baby. )

Awesome find, Michelle!! Thank you!! The box build at the end made me feel a lot more confident, too--he did a great job without it looking too overwhelming. Also he said Home Depot would cut it, too! I am for sure calling tomorrow!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So happy you've joined this thread, @Gillian Moore ! I know you have some great Oli stories to share! :<3::<3:
Pleasure is mine!:<3:

Oh yes, I have a lot of stories about OLI, but I'm afraid I won't be able to post pics, so please forgive me.:(

Thanks for posting such an interesting and unique thread.;)

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA

Rutibegga

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
I saw mention in there of the Mist King system. I've been reading about it a bit! Did you get the starter system or one of the others? I'm wondering if it's hard to operate and set up, or not too bad for a newbie to this concept?

It turns out the Mist King wasn't needed. The enclosure is plenty humid without it--in fact, it was above 90% for the first few weeks and we were actively trying to decrease the level. It's now a steady 75 to 80, though I'm watching the numbers as it cools down and our heat kicks on.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
It turns out the Mist King wasn't needed. The enclosure is plenty humid without it--in fact, it was above 90% for the first few weeks and we were actively trying to decrease the level. It's now a steady 75 to 80, though I'm watching the numbers as it cools down and our heat kicks on.

I am glad I asked! Even the starter kit is pricey. I've read where people install those sorts of things into their outdoor enclosures, too, but thankfully that's at least a season and a half out LOL

I'm a bit nervous about the heat here as well...we have those old style radiators and the moment they kicked on it dried everything up. I lost a couple plants before I realized what was happening :(

Thank you!! :<3::<3:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello!
I am Adam.
This is a marvelous thread, most splendid.
Every day is like a new day with my darling Tidgy, I will never be an older owner.
She was near death when i rescued her 4 years ago and now.
Beautiful Girl.jpg Lost my lunch.jpg
Wifey and I can't have kids.
This is our baby girl who we love very much.
Thanks, Nephelle.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Hello!
I am Adam.
Every day is like a new day with my darling Tidgy, I will never be an older owner.
View attachment 152555 View attachment 152556
Thanks, Nephelle.
Tidgy is such a pretty girl :) wifey and you make great tortoise mum and dad!

Michelle D

Hello!
I am Adam.
View attachment 152555 View attachment 152556
Thanks, Nephelle.

Hello Adam! :) beautiful sweet girl you have! Enjoyed your pics!