New Owner Show-and-Tell!

ADdie

Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, CA
DC64F3D9-04A0-4A32-BF50-823D7FBEFAFA.jpegThis is Leo, my 3? Or 4? year old RT. I found him on CL, where he was being adopted out due to his previous owner getting 2 puppies and having no time for him. This photo was taken in his outdoor enclosure last week. It’s his own little jungle right now after all the rain and sun we’ve been getting.

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
View attachment 320463This is Leo, my 3? Or 4? year old RT. I found him on CL, where he was being adopted out due to his previous owner getting 2 puppies and having no time for him. This photo was taken in his outdoor enclosure last week. It’s his own little jungle right now after all the rain and sun we’ve been getting.
Very pretty!

nootnootbu

USA
This is my little guy Franklin. His gotcha day was Feb. 13th of this year. I took this picture of him that night in his shoe box which he was being transported home in.
He was found on craigslist, and they said they believe him to be about one year old.
His former owner was apparently feeding him kale, carrots, and mixed greens.

IMG_20210210_185228399.jpg

When I first got him, he didn't eat for the first two days, and I was really worried about him. He just seemed really down, sad, and lethargic. But, I don't know much about his history at all, and I'm not sure if he could be only one year old, as I think he's nearly his full grown size already for a Russian tort.

Anyway, he started eating for me after about two days, and he LOVES spring mix. That seems to be his favorite thing. He absolutely hates kale and carrots, he won't touch either of them, which I think isn't a big deal, as those aren't super important to his diet anyway, and maybe not even that great for him?

He is also sort of a picky little guy. He doesn't like collard greens either, won't touch them, doesn't like the store bought dandelion greens, but he loves the little fresh ones from the yard and an occasional flower. I read that you can give them fruit for treats, but he doesn't like fruit. He will nibble on a piece of strawberry though, but he doesn't like apple. (I haven't tried any others yet, since fruit isn't super important to them.)

He seems to be happy and thriving now on just his spring mix and dandelion greens.

I soak him every day, though not a long soak just while I change his water and make his salad.

His shell seems to have a few rough spots, I hope that won't cause him any troubles.

This is him more recently, roughly one month after his gotcha date:
IMG_20210302_175711026.jpg
He seems much happier and more alert now, and I love this little guy so much!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
This is my little guy Franklin. His gotcha day was Feb. 13th of this year. I took this picture of him that night in his shoe box which he was being transported home in.
He was found on craigslist, and they said they believe him to be about one year old.

View attachment 320734

When I first got him, he didn't eat for the first two days, and I was really worried about him. He just seemed really down, sad, and lethargic. But, I don't know much about his history at all, and I'm not sure if he could be only one year old, as I think he's nearly his full grown size already for a Russian tort.

Anyway, he started eating for me after about two days, and he LOVES spring mix. That seems to be his favorite thing. He absolutely hates kale and carrots, he won't touch either of them, which I think isn't a big deal, as those aren't super important to his diet anyway, and maybe not even that great for him?

He is also sort of a picky little guy. He doesn't like collard greens either, won't touch them, doesn't like the store bought dandelion greens, but he loves the little fresh ones from the yard and an occasional flower. I read that you can give them fruit for treats, but he doesn't like fruit. He will nibble on a piece of strawberry though, but he doesn't like apple. (I haven't tried any others yet, since fruit isn't super important to them.)

He seems to be happy and thriving now on just his spring mix and dandelion greens.

I soak him every day, though not a long soak just while I change his water and make his salad.

His shell seems to have a few rough spots, I hope that won't cause him any troubles.

View attachment 320735
Welcome to the forum. Franklin looks like he is starting to adjust to you & his new living situation. TF is the place you want to be for the most current info on raising your tort. There are care instructions & food suggestions on this site as well as experienced owners to answer your questions.

nootnootbu

USA
Welcome to the forum. Franklin looks like he is starting to adjust to you & his new living situation. TF is the place you want to be for the most current info on raising your tort. There are care instructions & food suggestions on this site as well as experienced owners to answer your questions.

Thank you. I've already been looking around and reading here a lot as I begin my tort journey. I will also be getting red foots and sulcatas tomorrow probably, so I have been doing a ton of research.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
These are my tortoises:
Felix Is the RT
And the Hermann’s are waiting on a gender reveal for their names
?

Attachments

• CC82244F-4E05-41C5-B3E9-659DCD79CDD2.jpeg
    CC82244F-4E05-41C5-B3E9-659DCD79CDD2.jpeg
    577.6 KB · Views: 22
  • D151217A-F57C-47D6-9172-771F81AD6B4A.jpeg
    D151217A-F57C-47D6-9172-771F81AD6B4A.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 20

Grace-Sophia

Texas
View attachment 320463This is Leo, my 3? Or 4? year old RT. I found him on CL, where he was being adopted out due to his previous owner getting 2 puppies and having no time for him. This photo was taken in his outdoor enclosure last week. It’s his own little jungle right now after all the rain and sun we’ve been getting.
SO precious! I have a adopted rescue RT!
He’s around 15-20 years old! He’s still got it, my wittle old(ish) man?

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI

View attachment 320734

View attachment 320735
He actually looks a bit better and more slender!