1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New owner to horsefield tortoise x substrate help

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by Vicky#newtothis, Mar 14, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Vicky#newtothis

Vicky#newtothis New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Hertfordshire
    Hi all.
    Im a new owner of a horsefield tortoise called Timmy I've been told he's around 3 years old.
    I would just like a little advice to know I'm doing the right things.
    He came to me on a tortoise table which measures about 4foot x 3foot with sides that are 8inches high, I was wondering how deep his substrate should be if you could help but I don't want him escaping lol xx
    Thanks
  2. Vicky#newtothis

Vicky#newtothis New Member

Hertfordshire
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Me again before he came to me he was only eating kale every day to which I have now been adding some lambs lettuce and a few dandelion leaves I have found from the early weeds in the garden.
    What other greens can i buy?
    I have brought a tortoise mix of seeds which are coming along nicely. Im also planing of growing a lot of my own veg this year so will be catering for Timmy too this year. I've also ordered some dandelion seed and I have just got some pansy summer & winter ones so he will hopefully be fed like a king!!
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    With Russian tortoises bigger enclosures are always better. Yes, it's a small tortoise, however, they are hard wired to wander great distances, so when you coop them up into a small area they are very restless.

Turnip greens, escarole, endive, radicchio, collards, mustard,