New owner

AnnieApple

Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Hi, Last year my nephew found a tortoise walking up the road. He couldn't find the owner and the tortoise hibernated. When it woke in March he gave it me as he didn't want it. It looks fully grown but has a damaged shell and pyramiding. Is it possible to reverse this? How can I tell if it is getting worse? She is 5lbs 8oz, eats plenty and is very active. Is there any way you can tell the age of a tortoise?
Thanks for all the info on this site.IMG_20220424_111100.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
From those markings I believe you have a Hermanns tortoise there, but I could be wrong.
Can you post pictures of him from the sides and his plastron?
If you also post some pics of his enclosure and lamps you use etc you'll get good feedback to make sure he has everything he needs.
I think it is a temperate Mediterranean species so this is the caresheet that will help him thrive -

It covers care from hatchlings on but there is plenty that is relevant for older torts and will help you with diet. You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful in finding tort safe foods.

It isn't really possible to age torts accurately unless you have a hatch date which obviously you don't and they all grow at different rates depending on how they've been cared for etc. I have a leopard tortoise who was found and unclaimed. I've had him 8 years and he could have been 3 -5 years when found but I'll never know his actual age. I also had no idea of how to look after a tortoise but the advice on this forum is up to date and invaluable and helped me keep him happy and healthy.
So please read the caresheet and ask as many questions as you like.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, looks like a Herrmanns for sure. That Care sheet has a ton of good information for you & your tort.

Some daily or every few day soakings in warm water will go a long way to help your tort and its shell. The pyramiding can’t be reversed, but good husbandry practices will go a long way. Good luck

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. A proper enclosure will be vital to care for your new friend. Then you will have to decide if you want to hibernate him again and do it properly.

AnnieApple

Lancashire, UK
Hi and welcome,
From those markings I believe you have a Hermanns tortoise there, but I could be wrong.
Can you post pictures of him from the sides and his plastron?
If you also post some pics of his enclosure and lamps you use etc you'll get good feedback to make sure he has everything he needs.
I think it is a temperate Mediterranean species so this is the caresheet that will help him thrive -

It covers care from hatchlings on but there is plenty that is relevant for older torts and will help you with diet. You'll also find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful in finding tort safe foods.

It isn't really possible to age torts accurately unless you have a hatch date which obviously you don't and they all grow at different rates depending on how they've been cared for etc. I have a leopard tortoise who was found and unclaimed. I've had him 8 years and he could have been 3 -5 years when found but I'll never know his actual age. I also had no idea of how to look after a tortoise but the advice on this forum is up to date and invaluable and helped me keep him happy and healthy.
So please read the caresheet and ask as many questions as you like.
Thanks for the care sheet, lots of helpful advice there.
Here is another photo of Georgie (not sure if male or female)

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_111145.jpg
    IMG_20220424_111145.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
If you want to take a picture of her tail and plastron (underneath) maybe someone can help you with finding out male or female, if you want. Welcome to the forum

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
George is looking healthy. Did he hibernate on his own outside?
I wonder how long he has been out there on his own??????

AnnieApple

Lancashire, UK
If you want to take a picture of her tail and plastron (underneath) maybe someone can help you with finding out male or female, if you want. Welcome to the forum

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_143052_2.jpg
    IMG_20220317_143052_2.jpg
    830.2 KB · Views: 4

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I believe he is a George, however I am no expert. Follow the care sheet and do the Best you can. Please just ask here on the forum for help. Pictures of the enclosure will help the experts, help you. I have a leopard and an eastern Hermann (rescued too). Do you give Georgie calcium?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
No my nephew put him in a box somewhere I believe. But he looks like he has had a hard life.
I know nothing about hibernation or actually brumation for cold blooded reptiles. Reading posts here on the forum. I have found there is a correct method. Also have read you have a option to let them brumate or not. I guess there are probably pros and cons for either option.
Don't know if your nephew was doing it correctly.
There is enough information and knowledgeable members here for you to decide what to do for George.
I am like @Ink , I am no expert but leaning towards George being a George.

AnnieApple

Lancashire, UK
I believe he is a George, however I am no expert. Follow the care sheet and do the Best you can. Please just ask here on the forum for help. Pictures of the enclosure will help the experts, help you. I have a leopard and an eastern Hermann (rescued too). Do you give Georgie calcium?
I sprinkle calcium on his food twice a week and there is cuttlefish available all the time.