New owners and have diet ?'s for RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chadam

5 Year Member
Hello my daughter got a pet RT from santa and we were wondering what is best to feed him. We live in mn so fresh veg from outside are not an option right now. Are there any plants we can grow indoors that he would lke?
We have been feeding him romaine lettuce shredded carrots and spinach but he doesn't seem to like the spinach leaves.
Is there any treats that they really like?
He eats from our hands now which is fun.
I put a 2:1 calcium and phosphorus with D3 on his food a couple times a week, how often should I put it with his food and how much.
Thanks Adam & Brenna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can buy the packaged greens from the store. I use Earthbound Farms Spring Mix. Its a nice mixture of baby leaves of different kinds of greens. Romaine and spinach are ok when mixed with other greens for a varied diet, but its not good to feed romaine and spinach as the staple in the diet. Spinach binds the calcium to it as it travels through the body, and the calcium is expelled in the waste.

You can buy seeds to grow for tortoises from either carolinapetsupply.com or tortoisestuff.com I'm sure there are other places, but those are two that I have used in the past. You can also plant any veggie seeds (except tomato) in kitty litter pans. Tortoises like the leaves of almost all vegetable plants. You just have to provide enough warmth and light for the seeds to sprout.

Yvonne

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
emysemys said:
You can buy the packaged greens from the store. I use Earthbound Farms Spring Mix. Its a nice mixture of baby leaves of different kinds of greens. Romaine and spinach are ok when mixed with other greens for a varied diet, but its not good to feed romaine and spinach as the staple in the diet. Spinach binds the calcium to it as it travels through the body, and the calcium is expelled in the waste.

You can buy seeds to grow for tortoises from either carolinapetsupply.com or tortoisestuff.com I'm sure there are other places, but those are two that I have used in the past. You can also plant any veggie seeds (except tomato) in kitty litter pans. Tortoises like the leaves of almost all vegetable plants. You just have to provide enough warmth and light for the seeds to sprout.

Yvonne

I agree with the Earthbound farms spring mix. My tortoise loves it. I live in Iowa, and there is only one little organic store where I live, and that is the spring mix they carry. The 1 lb. package seems to stay fresh a lot longer than the bags.

COngrats on the new tort.

Evan

Chadam

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Thank you we will try them. Why not tomato?
Adam & Brenna

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tomato is in the deadly night shade family and the plant (leaves and stem) is poisonous. The tomato (the fruit of the plant) is NOT toxic.

Yvonne

carlyse_09

5 Year Member
I'm also buying green packages in the store.I've read the other supplements and i ill try to give it to my tortoise.

Chadam

5 Year Member
Ya I bought some of the baby greens he seems to like it. He really loves shredded carrots are they good for him even though they are not green?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Chadam-Carrots for a russian tort are usually a no because of the sugar and carbs. But, they are high in vitamin A and I personally think it's ok to give a little piece every month or whatever (if they are already in the house for example). My little guy doesn't even like them. Some people would say not ever, and I've seen others over-do it. Every day is probably overdoing it. Greens, weeds, etc are the best.

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Safeway/Vons/Dominics now have organic spring mix in bulk so you can buy just what you need instead of a whole bag or container![/i]

Chadam

5 Year Member
Thanks both of ya, we will cut back on the carrots and just give him a little once in a great while.

Status
Not open for further replies.