New Person with a Question About Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

-steph-

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm Steph. I introduced myself in the Introductions forum but thought I'd come say hi here because I'm going to be getting an Egyptian Tortoise soon.

I also have a question. I'm haveing trouble finding a consensus on what substrate to use with these little guys. I'm finding alot of "I use _____because _____ and everyone who uses _____ is wrong because ______" sort of statements. (speaking of the Internet as a whole) I'm going to be getting a 5 month old and I plan on using paper towels at first because they will be easier to keep clean and change and, I figure, also easier for the little dude to get around on. Is this incorrect? Either way, what's the best substrate to use when they get on it, be it now or later?

TIA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Steph:

I think it is totally wrong for anyone to use a blanket statement about all tortoises.

I like cypress mulch for all the kinds of tortoises that I keep, however, I do believe that cypress mulch wouldn't be good for Stars (I don't keep them). So, you have to find someone who has experience with Egyptians and get the scoop on your substrate from them.

Years ago, I was told that Egyptians should be kept on sand because they needed to be kept very dry. I'm pretty sure that would be bad advice in the current scheme of things.

Copy this web address (for this thread) and send Danny (Egyptiandan) a PM asking him to read this thread. He keeps and breeds Egyptians.

We all learn from your questions, and we can use the forum as a research tool, so thank you for asking the question.

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Portland Oregon
I have an Egyptian Tortoise and I use crushed oyster shell. Find it at most feed stores for cheap and does a great job keeping humidity down and adds calcium to there diet. Munchies walked just fine on it at 2 months.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would not recommend any type of crushed shells, pellets, paper pellets, corn cobs, sand, or similar...these are all associated with problems such as the substrate causing impaction, being too absorbent (actually sucks the moisture out of the tort), etc. I agree with Yvonne's advice to ask Danny (or anyone else with experience with Egyptians). Typically paper towels or newspaper would not be advisable because most torts need a substrate to mimic a natural environment to allow them to dig and such, and most tort species need a moist substrate. But, some species are kept very differently than others--for example I was surprised to hear many keepers of Stars will use hay, which I would think would be tough to walk on, too dry, etc. But their torts thrive on it. But since I don't have experience with Egyptians I can't make a specific recommendation.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I have a friend who has been keeping Egyptians for a year longer than me (17 years). He has always kept his animals on oyster shells, from hatchlings to adults. He has never had a problem with impaction (the pieces are fairly big, so usually only get eaten by adults).
I know people that use a soil/sand mixture (70/30) and they also do well on that.
I have used shredded aspen for mine for as long as I've had Egyptians. I like it as it's easy to walk on, great to dig into and easy to clean (and doesn't weigh a ton :p)
I live in a fairly humid part of the US, so aspen works well. If you live in a drier part of the country, you might want to try the soil/sand mix (as you can make that damp. If you live in a very humid area of the US, than oyster shells might work best for you.
So you do have a bit of choice when it comes to substrates and you'll just have to find the one that works for you. That or you can have all 3 for variety. :D
I used to do paper towels for the first 3 or 4 months for my hatchlings, but have have gone to putting them straight onto the aspen (from day 1 out of the incubator). So you can put them straight onto your choice of substrate right away. :)

Danny

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
I never thought of using aspen. Not a bad idea. I live in deep south texas and everyday it is really humid. My torts are indoors and we have the ac on, but I think it still gets humid no matter what :p

I'm currently using crushed oyster shells and my three egyptians are doing great on it, even the one month old I got from Danny :D

One of them though likes to dig into the oyster shells and semi hide. So maybe I'll try the aspen so that she can dig all she wants. I thought about using sand and topsoil too but I heard it could cause impaction and what not. There's so many things I don't know what to do! :p I may just use all three substrates because I can't decide lol.

Like Danny said, it's just finding what works for you. All are good substrates, it just depends on your situation.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tort and I love aspen! I get 45 lb bags from the Bean Farm...lucky enough to live close enough to drive and pick them up. Great for burrowing (I make the substrate twice as deep as my tort is long) and easy clean up. If I spot clean and take off the top layer and any substrate in the burrows every so often, I really don't need to do a 100% change. I like the shredded stuff like for snakes better than the flakes like you get in the small animal section. In our damp climate and us keeping our house cool, a moist substrate was just too tough, and since we have a Russian with a lower humidity requirement, aspen was an ideal choice for us. Organic soil is fine. My personal preference is not to use sand, even the play sand mixed in, and I'd never use oyster shells. Everyone has different opinions though. Many people will have one moist side and one dry side. I would not mix the two together as aspen can mold, although some people do that without problems

Status
Not open for further replies.