New plants - scared baby tort?

Kabs

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi!

I hope you're all well!

I recently added new plastic plants in my 11 month old Leopard tortoise's indoor enclosure to create new shady hiding spots. But I noticed that Lightning hasn't moved from the doorway of the hide for the two hours. Lightning is usually a busy little climber but I'm worried I've perhaps overwhelmed/terrified the poor fella a little with 3 new plants. Is this a thing or am I worrying unnecessarily?

When Lightning first moved into this enclosure, the little one explored every inch of the place, walking around and touching the walls.

I've checked the humidity, I've checked the temperature which are both fine. I've tried to feed baby spinach leaves with fresh grass as that is a favourite but no luck not even a bite! Did a normal healthy poop yesterday. Had a long soak this morning but had to encourage this (usually just steps into the water dish independently). Breathing sounds normal too.

Any advice/reassurance on this would be much appreciated! I'm new to this and slightlyyyyy freaking out as he usually eats and moves around.

Kind regards,

Kabs

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'd leave him alone for a while to get used to the big scary things in his world...lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises do not like change, and leopards can be particularly sensitive to it. I'd give it a few days.

Also, be careful with plastic plants. I've tried to use them in years past and every time my tortoises try to eat them. Its an impaction waiting to happen.

Kabs

London
Thank you @maggie3fan for the reassurance :)

What have you switched to, @Tom, in order to provide some shade/hiding spots? I bought these from the reptile section in petsathome. I was a little sceptical about these plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use prayer plants, boston ferns, pothos, stinging nettle and queen palm babies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you @maggie3fan for the reassurance :)

What have you switched to, @Tom, in order to provide some shade/hiding spots? I bought these from the reptile section in petsathome. I was a little sceptical about these plants.
I completely recognize the benefits of a well planted enclosure, but have not found a way to make it work for me. I look at heavily planted enclosures with envy. I'm able to grow plants just fine outdoors and just have to fight off the insect, rodent, and lagomorph pests, but indoors seems to be more problematic for me for some reason.

I've recently been trying pothos, but the torts either eat it all up, knock over the pots, or it just dies off for reasons I don't understand. Plastic plants are eaten. Moss is eaten. Store bought plants are grown with long lasting toxic systemic pesticides.

I just make my indoor enclosures simple and basic and focus my attention on making the outdoor enclosures and plants better. For me, indoors is only temporary for a year or two until they put on enough size to live outside full time in large enclosures with heated shelters for night and colder winter days. I make sure all their needs are met indoors with plastic hides, logs, rocks and of course proper lighting and temperatures.